Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: hydrocephalus and cure

Hopefully a device developed at University Hospital Vienna, Vienna Medical School will be
    available in the near future for us in Europe.
    Please check the "Projects" at this link http://www.bmtp.akh-wien.ac.at/bmt/home.htm

probert

Dear Professor Young,

What do you think about Professor Molly Shoichet's tissue engineering project and its possible role as cure for hydrocephalus?
    Would those nanotubes she is developing be a solution to drain the brainwater and so to cure (or permanently handle) hydrocephalus?
    Thanks
    Bubo

"Would those nanotubes she is developing be a solution to drain the brainwater and so to cure (or permanently handle) hydrocephalus?"

I am not expert on this, but my cousin had hydrocephalus.
    It was my understanding, that in the vesicles there is too much liquid.
    If nanotubes just means smaller tubes, this does not seem to cure the cause of the problem.
    Also my cousin several times had operations, because there had started to be systems problems where the tubes were going, so they were reshunted to another location.

With this, I also have my doubts, that smaller tubes would solve the problem of that there might be aversive systems reactions where they are going.

Wise Young mentioned clogging up, and I don't wish to judeg here,
    if this cannot happen there, too.

So somehow I do not perceive how nanotubes would be a cure.
    Or would ensure, that such problems don't occur.

[This message was edited by Acid on 06-27-03 at 10:50 AM.]

Quote Originally Posted by cess View Post
    As far as I know hydrocephalus can be treated right?
    That is why there are treatments done for hydrocephalus
    patients. But if I am wrong, I would stand to be corrected.
    cess,

At the present, shunting by placing a tube into one of the ventricles and draining the fluid to the pleural cavity (lung) is the dominant and preferred method of treating hydrocephalus. To my knowledge, there has not been any effort to treat hydrocephalus by restoring meningeal absorption of cerebrospinal fluid. Note that hydrocephalus results from the failure of the meningeal system (due to inflammation or other reasons) to absorb cerebrospinal fluid and the consequent accumulation of cerebrospinal fluid causes hydrocephalus.

Wise.

Hoping for some clarification

My son is 12 years old and had is first vp shunt placed at 3 weeks old. Now 15 surgeries later..... he has been having problems with overdrainage, we are now looking at yet another surgery or 2 because apparently technology has yet to catch up to him. His strata shunt is set at 2.5 and he is still overdraining and now the surgeon said we could add a "restrictor" and if that doesn't work, take out the shunt and hope he doesn't still need it. Now, my question I suppose is this, what are the prognosis' for restricting, removing, or just letting it be and living with the symptoms. I guess my husband and I are wondering if we are looking at our worst nightmare of losing our son. We just need to know if the outcome is probably going to be the same no matter what or if one way looks better than another. We really don't want to have him go through more surgery if the outcome will be the same especially because he has been through so muxh already.

Quote Originally Posted by Bree71 View Post
    My son is 12 years old and had is first vp shunt placed at 3 weeks old. Now 15 surgeries later..... he has been having problems with overdrainage, we are now looking at yet another surgery or 2 because apparently technology has yet to catch up to him. His strata shunt is set at 2.5 and he is still overdraining and now the surgeon said we could add a "restrictor" and if that doesn't work, take out the shunt and hope he doesn't still need it. Now, my question I suppose is this, what are the prognosis' for restricting, removing, or just letting it be and living with the symptoms. I guess my husband and I are wondering if we are looking at our worst nightmare of losing our son. We just need to know if the outcome is probably going to be the same no matter what or if one way looks better than another. We really don't want to have him go through more surgery if the outcome will be the same especially because he has been through so muxh already.
    Bree71,

It breaks my heart to hear your description of the travails with your son. I don't think that there is anything that I can tell you that you have not heard already over the past 12 years. Most shunts have valves that are designed to prevent overdrainage. The fact that your son still has overdrainage problems despite over a dozen revisions is disheartening.

I attach an reprint of an article from 2007 by Kondageski, et al. describing their experience with the Strata valve in managing overdrainage. It seems to have been relatively successful. I don't know if he has already had this.

Wise.
    Last edited by Wise Young; 06-03-2011 at 11:42 AM.

Would a third vetricularostomy be a option in Bree71's case? I know it's a somewhat risky procedure but if it works it's a permanent soloution.

Well, he does have the strata. Looks as though we are going to have a second anti-syphon device placed on July 20th. From there we will have to wait and see I guess, if it works GREAT and if it doesn't we are (God help us) discussing possible shunt removal. At this point my son just wants to feel better so I guess the only thing we can do is try.