View Poll Results: How many people were "incomplete" shortly after injury are now walking?

Voters
266. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am incomplete and walking (>1 year after injury)

81 30.45%
  • I am incomplete and walking (≤1 year after injury)

78 29.32%
  • I am incomplete but not walking (>1 year after injury)

55 20.68%
  • I am incomplete but not walking (≤1 year after injury)

46 17.29%
  • I had a "complete" spinal cord injury and recovered walking.

6 2.26%
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: How many people are "walking quads"?

c2c3 incomplete, nothing for about 3 months started to move toes than legs. no balance but semi walked out of RIC 5 months post injury. use 2 canes very slowly, can do stairs with someone on guard. hands, arms, shoulders still tough, but still making gains 3 1/2 years post. work at it everyday

Quote Originally Posted by woman from Europe View Post
    That would be nice. The bad thing is I am so close to walking, but after walking with a SCI for so many years I am really tired. And the last years before the chair was terrible. I was even looking at the door to the bathroom and dread getting up and walk out there. So I have it better now but sometimes I wish I could take a few steps at least
    Sadly, I hear your story time and time again from individuals who have aged with SCI's. I'm sorry you've had to suffer both the physical and psychological loss of once again not being to walk. Unfortunately, unless research and medicine develops better treatments, more likely then not, it's going to be the fate of most of us walking quads and paras. But, the fact you have been so forthright about your experience, does take some of the scary out it in knowing what might be expected. For now, I'll be grateful for the ability I have to walk any at all.

When I started to write here on CC, I had never known anybody aging with SCI and my doctors did not believe me. They thought I had MS, but I didn't. Even the neurologist didn't know about SCI and aging and nobody understood why I was loosing function. That was the real nightmare because I did not understand why and it wasn't exactly my most happy moment either Slowly getting paralyzed again... But I am greatful for all the years I was walking and all the fun I had and all the crazy things I have done
    TH 12, 43 years post

Very scary to hear these stories...

I just have a question i'm hoping people can answer. My brother says he cant move his legs and fingers becauase it hurts too much when he tries. Does it ever hurt anyone else when they try to move? He is a C5 quad 8 months post.

I am a walker. I had an epidural abcess caused by trauma t4-t9 incomplete. I spent a little over a week in the regular hospital after surgery and then I was transferred to an inpatient rehab facility. There, within 2 weeks i was able to somewhat stand up on my own (of course i had to wear ankle braces and knee cages because they all buckled) i also had to look at my feet because i couldn't really feel where they were going...but i had the strength to move them.
    I was in that place for 4 weeks and when i left...i walked out of there with crutches. No one could really explain why or how my function came back like it did. One day, my knee is hyperextending with every faulty step i take and the next day...it hardly gives at all.

now, 5 months post op. I still use the crutches but i am beginning to rely on them less and less. I can walk without them as long as i have a counter or something to steady myself on. Sensation hasn't changed much, but the pain in my legs is getting worse.. (i'm hoping thats a good thing? meaning my feeling is starting to come back). I have really witnessed a miracle in my recovery and my neurosurgeon says that I am way ahead of schedule and he is hopeful that i will make a complete and full recovery!

i'm 45, 8 months post-op c-4/c-5 s1 cauda equina. worked and played hard. i can walk without a cane, my gait is poor, better with a cane or walking sticks. have weak hip (flexers) both sides. still have saddle numbness, fabby from my bum down the backsides of both legs. have (spasticisity?) cant spell.. in my right leg from my injury site to my toes on the right leg, my toes have curled to where i walk on my toenails. not alot firing in the left side of left leg. i walk mostly on my heels and the outside edges of my feet. no planter flexion. i do house hold chores, do exercises daily at home and go to the Y once a week to swim. i notice latley my left hip tightens, kinda like a kink. i can stretch it some and get some relief, but it aches as well as my right knee and ankle. the doc wants me fitted for some leg braces soon and i'm working on the toe curl.
    you have talked about preservation here. one friend recommended i start using a wheelchair part time, how do approach this with the doctor if they havent recommeded a chair. makes me feel like i'm being a wuss.

Quote Originally Posted by SaraBeara91 View Post
    I am a walker. I had an epidural abcess caused by trauma t4-t9 incomplete. I spent a little over a week in the regular hospital after surgery and then I was transferred to an inpatient rehab facility. There, within 2 weeks i was able to somewhat stand up on my own (of course i had to wear ankle braces and knee cages because they all buckled) i also had to look at my feet because i couldn't really feel where they were going...but i had the strength to move them.
    I was in that place for 4 weeks and when i left...i walked out of there with crutches. No one could really explain why or how my function came back like it did. One day, my knee is hyperextending with every faulty step i take and the next day...it hardly gives at all.

now, 5 months post op. I still use the crutches but i am beginning to rely on them less and less. I can walk without them as long as i have a counter or something to steady myself on. Sensation hasn't changed much, but the pain in my legs is getting worse.. (i'm hoping thats a good thing? meaning my feeling is starting to come back). I have really witnessed a miracle in my recovery and my neurosurgeon says that I am way ahead of schedule and he is hopeful that i will make a complete and full recovery!
    I think you are doing great being 5 months post op. In my case I kept getting return and stronger over a 2 year period. I had to use knee cages, leg braces at first also. Actually get stronger over maybe a 3-4 year peroid -- it takes time. Now 30 year post op iot is slowly going -- aging with a SCI they say. Not everyone is the sme though.

Quote Originally Posted by lonecoaster View Post
    i'm 45, 8 months post-op c-4/c-5 s1 cauda equina. worked and played hard. i can walk without a cane, my gait is poor, better with a cane or walking sticks. have weak hip (flexers) both sides. still have saddle numbness, fabby from my bum down the backsides of both legs. have (spasticisity?) cant spell.. in my right leg from my injury site to my toes on the right leg, my toes have curled to where i walk on my toenails. not alot firing in the left side of left leg. i walk mostly on my heels and the outside edges of my feet. no planter flexion. i do house hold chores, do exercises daily at home and go to the Y once a week to swim. i notice latley my left hip tightens, kinda like a kink. i can stretch it some and get some relief, but it aches as well as my right knee and ankle. the doc wants me fitted for some leg braces soon and i'm working on the toe curl.
    you have talked about preservation here. one friend recommended i start using a wheelchair part time, how do approach this with the doctor if they havent recommeded a chair. makes me feel like i'm being a wuss.
    I would talk to your DR. Insurance may not pay for a wheelchair if they feel (the DR) says you won't need one. Of course that may be good news if the DR says that. If you feel you need one now to manage I would tell the DR that also.

Update at 11 months post sci

Quote Originally Posted by cajun View Post
    I fractured C1/C2 5-1/2 months ago. I was on a ventilator for one month. I had pneumonia during part of my two week stay in ICU. During the first few days I had erratic heartbeat and blood pressure. I did not receive methylprednisone. My records show that I was ASIA C five days post accident. I was put in a standing position with a hoist to do squats during my time in ICU. I was walking without an assistive device at 2-1/2 months. I could walk a mile at four months. My sensation is everywhere, but not as good as pre-accident, with tingles or less sensitivity. My strength is better in my legs and right side. My weakest link is my left hand. I am walking, riding a trike, lifting weights, doing simple yoga/pilates, and stretching to improve my strength, coordination and stamina. My problems are spastic hypertonia, exercise induced hypotension, spasms and frequent nighttime urination. I went from 120mg to 60mg baclofen/day to improve drowziness and continence. My big worry is the spasticity.
    I have continued to make progress with strength and stamina. My weight lifting is at about 70% of pre sci. I can walk 5 miles. I can ride a bike 20 miles, at 12 mph average. The spasticity is a little better.