Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WIND!

WIND!

Since changing my bowel routine I find I pass alot of wind. It's sooo embarrassing! Anyone have any tips, like Jeff said on his 'The joy of cooking' post if you cook beans with baking soda it gets rid of some of the wind.
    When the infamous question of "who's farted?" comes up, I don't know wether to own up to something that might not have been me!

Take beano with your food

Especially the major offenders on the menu.

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

What's your biggest concern?

the sound or the smell? Simethicone will help reduce the big farts to little ones.

"And so it begins."

Blast off!

Hi!

I know that drinking soda is a taboo, but it took me a little time to adjust to that. I almost never have soda anymore and when I am in a situation where soda is all that is available I "break wind" a lot the day or two after. I don't know if that helps you, but if you do drink any soda or other carbonated drinks it might be worth it to replace it with non-carbonated drinks.

I hope that helps!
    M.

We dont have beano in england so what should I take? What is beano?

Its getting really embarrassing I sat my A level exam on tuesday and had really bad wind. I was in a room on my own cause I get extra time and there was only a teacher there. But I couldn't concentrate i was so worried about coughing or making the desk creek to disguise the noise.

I started eating bran flakes in the morning, do they cause wind? Does fibre in general cause wind. The problem started when I started eating more fibre and doing my bowels every day, I also get real bad stomach aches from the 'wind retention!' then I rips! Should I take some antiacid tabs with meals, Help!

what's the big deal about gas? 1st of all, there's sooooo many more horrifyingly embarrasing things to be dealing with as an sci, and 2nd - abs pass gas all the f#@$!ing time - and directly inject their malodorous fumes right at face level! i say give a little back and get over it!

peace

Increased wind

I would definitely look at what foods you are eating. Cut down on gas producing foods, i.e., cabbage family, beans, spicy foods. Fiber supplements can indeed cause bloating and increased gas but it is important to get about 15-30 grams of fiber/day in your foods. This will keep your stools soft, bulky, and formed which is much easier to work with in your bowel program. An antacid/antiflatulant may help temporarily for those really bad times but I would avoid long term use as it may interfere with your bowel regime and lead to either diarrhea or constipation (everyone is different). Drinking plenty of water may also help. Chlorophyl tablets may also help with gas control but I would check with your MD first before starting it. This can be found at most health food stores or outlets. PLG

I agree with Alissa, I would much rather pass wind then have an accident.
    If I am with a group of people i always deny passing wind. My answer to the
    Who farted ? question is Not me, I cant do that anymore.
    Bree

Beano

http://hbandf.com/catalog/detail.cfm?Item_No=338063

Description: Beano is an enzyme supplement taken at the beginning of a meal to help prevent gas formation and discomfort from foods such as beans, broccoli, grains, onions, pasta, vegetables, etc.

I'd order Beano. I haven't heard of anything else like it.

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

Jeff - does this Beano actuallky work? How often do you take it? Does it interfere with BMs?

What do you think SCI nurse, is it a good idea, do many people take it?

Thanks