Thread: Friend newly injured

Friend newly injured

I have a friend that was just injured about a month ago. He was in mexico, dove off something into about 4ft of water with a sand bottom. He walked away from it with a sore neck. About an hour later he was paralyzed from the neck down. He was taken to the hospital in mexico (scary experience) the doctor took x-rays and pretty much sent him on his way, gave him a crash course on cathing and what not and that was it. The Dr. said it was nothing to worry about and it was just spinal shock, in time everything will return to normal. Does this make any sense wise? After a month he hasn't got much return yet and hasn't gone to a Dr. here yet either (Canada). His x-rays showed that his neck is fine and he is getting some function back, but I don't know. His mom is a nurse and his sis is a PT I think so I suppose he's in good hands, but still, no neck brace even. What do you think wise? Is it possible to injure your spine without breaking your neck?

It is possible to have either a spinal cord bruise (contusion) or bleed into the spinal cord without fractures, although it is still possible that he has damage to ligaments which don't show up well in Xray. He really needs to see an orthospine or neurosurgeon ASAP for a spinal stability examination, and of course should be going to a SCI center for either an inpatient or outpatient rehab program. This is not a do-it-yourself process, no matter who is in your family.

(KLD)

Hi
    I also bruised my cord inbetween c5-6 no fracture's that was 5 yrs ago during the first 7 mo's i made slow steady gains but...........
    this is nothing to play with get a neck brace on and see a pro right away........I my freind am a walking quad AFTER a year of therapy i can get around a bit with a walker the catheters are still here,etc,etc, please get him to the right people, good luck i'll say a prayer, god speed.

air ohs, I am glad that you have gotten function back.

Monte, it is indeed possible for people to injure the spine without injuring the spinal cord. A million people per year get "whiplash" in the U.S. Probably about 400,000 people get spine fracture without spinal cord injury. Over half of spinal cord injuries in the U.S. involve incomplete spinal cord injury with a spine fracture. So, it is not unusual. As long as your friend is showing no instability of the spine and there is no compression of the cord, and he is recovering function, his course of care seems reasonable. However, he may benefit from more rehabilitation.

Wise.

Hi
    Xmas 2002 i was in a car accident which resulted in a c6, c7 incomplete injury...i bruised my cord also.Its been a little over 3months and i've gotten return to t-12.No leg movement yet but i feel them. would love to talk to walking quads because i beleive ill walk again. plz reply here or email me at spinderellanov@hotmail.com ty
    Originally posted by air ohs:

Hi
    I also bruised my cord inbetween c5-6 no fracture's that was 5 yrs ago during the first 7 mo's i made slow steady gains but...........
    this is nothing to play with get a neck brace on and see a pro right away........I my freind am a walking quad AFTER a year of therapy i can get around a bit with a walker the catheters are still here,etc,etc, please get him to the right people, good luck i'll say a prayer, god speed.

nov17rain, welcome. There are many "walking quads" who are members of this forum. It may take them a little while to find your post. I will post a poll on this forum to see if we can attract their attention. Wise.

Hi there,

I injured spine at c4/5/6 just the cord no breakages fractures about 4 monts ago. I was in hospital for 2 weeks and then sent home, I had no collar no need apparently if nothing is broken..My legs came back in about 48 hours and the cathetar went after 10 days, bowels came back to normal after about 6 weeks, but arms are still badly injured..albeit have been improving but very slowly..I was diagnosed as central cord syndrome which can take up to 18 months to recover but probably not full recovery..spinal shock generally lasts only about 6-8 weeks and the deficits you are left with after that need to be worked on by physios/rehab etc..as recovery is slow but the good news is that incomplete injuries can keep recovering for a very long time afterwards.

Aurelia, thanks so much for posting and sharing. Yes, it does sound like you have a classic central cord syndrome. Wise.

Thanks for your prompt reply..I have seen a neurosurgeon who thinks I may have brachial plexus injury as well (I fell down stairs) and thinks the central cord injury has recovered fully as my hands are/were fine(usually central cord affects hands)and my bladder/bowel/legs were all normal after 6 weeks. but my problem is solely deltoids/biceps shoulder girdle. Apparently it is very uncommon for central cord syndrome to affect proximal muscles only. BUT another neurosurgeon has told me it can't be brachial as sensation is usually impaired with brachial and my sensation is fine except for back of shoulder where I can't distinguish pinprick.

ANyhow I hate to ask soo many questions but my biceps/deltoids are a grade 3 on the right. What are the chances of them moving up more grades..The left unfortunately I amn't sure if they are even innervated. Its soo hard to get information on central cord syndrome. Any information I would appreciate.