Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Welcome to the Acute SCI Forum

h.resch@aon.at
    Dear Sir,
    I would like to ask for some advices:
    I have a patient with traumatic C5 fracture and lesion of the spinal cord with complete paraplegia from C6 downward. The patient is 19 years old and sustained a motocross accident one week ago. We have performed surgery immediately after the accident in order to remove the body of C5 which narrowed the spinal cord about half of its thickness. The fracture then was stabilised by bone block and plate. The patient had also received high dose cortisone immediately after the accident from the rescue team.
    On the MRI 5 days after the accident the spinal cord has enough space and seems not to be interrupted but shows edema and a little bit of a central bleeding.
    I would like to ask you for some recommendations in the treatment. Has somebody of you something we could give to the patient even if it is in the experimental stage? I hope you can give me some advices!
    Thank you
    Dr. Herbert Resch
    General Hospital Salzburg, Austria

Dr. Resch, I applaud you for seeking out resources beyond the usual avenues for your patient. If he is within the first 15 days of his injury, I would certainly look into the Proneuron program in either Israel or Belguim.

http://www.proneuron.com/

You can learn more about this and other therapies in the research phase on the Cure forum here as well.

(KLD)

Dear Dr. Resch,

I apologize for not having responded to your post earlier. There are two experimental therapies that are currently in clinical trial for the subacute period (2 weeks)of spinal cord injury:

1. Activated macrophage transplants (Brussels)
    2. Alternating current application (Purdue)
    3. Ambulation training.

The last is active in Switzerland, at the Balchrist Rehabilitation Center. I also know that Dr. Milan Dimitrijevic in Vienna has been actively studying the use of epidural stimulation of the L2 locomotor pattern generator. Finally, there is much interest and effort being expended on intensive exercise therapies directed at preventing "learned non-use". Several of the articles that I have posted on our main server may be of interest to you. For example, you may be interested in:

The Effects of Intensive Training on Motor Recovery

Wise.

Wise Young, Ph.D., M.D., Professor & Chair
    Dept. of Cell Biology & Neuroscience
    W. M. Keck Center of Collaborative Neuroscience
    D224 Nelson Lab, 604 Allison Rd., Busch Campus
    Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey
    Piscataway NJ 08854-8082
    tel: 732-445-2061, fax: 732-445-2063
    email: wisey@pipeline.com; http:sciwire.com

My niece is 5 years old and she became paralyzed in her wrists and hands. She was outside and told her mom her back was hurting and then went back outside. About 30 min. later she went to the restroom. My sister heard her crying, so went check on her. Her back was hurting and she couldn't open the door. The doctors did 2 mri's, spinal fluid test, cat scan, blood tests, and an x-ray. They didn't find a thing wrong with her. Is there anything else out there that could of contributed to her paralysis? Her back stopped hurting her within 15-20 minutes after my sister found her crying in the restroom. She is gaining strength back in her hands slowly. She is going through therapy and got to back to school after 2 weeks. She is able to straighten out her fingers on the left hand but still has no strength in it yet. Her right hand has enough strength to hold light objects.

My niece is 5 years old and she became paralyzed in her wrists and hands. She was outside and told her mom her back was hurting and then went back outside. About 30 min. later she went to the restroom. My sister heard her crying, so went check on her. Her back was hurting and she couldn't open the door. The doctors did 2 mri's, spinal fluid test, cat scan, blood tests, and an x-ray. They didn't find a thing wrong with her. Is there anything else out there that could of contributed to her paralysis? Her back stopped hurting her within 15-20 minutes after my sister found her crying in the restroom. She is gaining strength back in her hands slowly. She is going through therapy and got to back to school after 2 weeks. She is able to straighten out her fingers on the left hand but still has no strength in it yet. Her right hand has enough strength to hold light objects.
    strum, it is not clear what your niece had but one likely possibility is ischemia (embolization). If a cause is not found, the condition is called a transverse myelitis. I am glad to hear that she is getting some functional return. I will post more when I have time. Wise.

Hi,
    My wife had a sudden, still unexplained fully, stroke of her spine, C7 complete, just about 6 months ago. We spent over 2 weeks in a local hospital with no diagonosis. We ended up at Johns Hopkins. They were amazing on every level and are certainly (all due respect to Rutgers) I believe the best at understanding Neuro issues that are very hard to explain. If you want more info on our experience, please email me at naamodt@eventstrategygroup.com.
    Take care,

Norm

Norm, I agree. I have great admiration for the Johns Hopkins group and believe that they are not only great diagnostically but are very compassionate and take good care of their patients.

Wise.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Vahidweb
    Dr. Wise Young,
    You are so great!

Vahid (New Member)
    Wise is not only great-He is Akhbar

h.resch@aon.at
    Dear Sir,
    I would like to ask for some advices:
    I have a patient with traumatic C5 fracture and lesion of the spinal cord with complete paraplegia from C6 downward. The patient is 19 years old and sustained a motocross accident one week ago. We have performed surgery immediately after the accident in order to remove the body of C5 which narrowed the spinal cord about half of its thickness. The fracture then was stabilised by bone block and plate. The patient had also received high dose cortisone immediately after the accident from the rescue team.
    On the MRI 5 days after the accident the spinal cord has enough space and seems not to be interrupted but shows edema and a little bit of a central bleeding.
    I would like to ask you for some recommendations in the treatment. Has somebody of you something we could give to the patient even if it is in the experimental stage? I hope you can give me some advices!
    Thank you
    Dr. Herbert Resch
    General Hospital Salzburg, Austria

WOW! I wish my doctor would have taken this kind of intiative. I might have gotten something back.