Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Welcome to the Acute SCI Forum

Does anyone know what level Pat Rummerfied's injury was at and whether it was complete or incomplete?

cousinmike, excuse my ignorance but who's Pat Rummerfield?

If you can provide us with a little more info maybe we can help answer your question.

Pat Rummerfield is the first spinal cord injury quadrapelegic to fully recover:

http://rx.magazine.tripod.com/rl_20001018.htm

http://www.patrummerfield.com/

The article mentions he was injured in the c3 c4 and c5 region, but it doesn't go into details as to whether it was complete or in complete, whether he had any sensation below the neck right after the accident or if he only began to feel things after rehab weeks to months later. He now works with Dr John McDonald at the University of Washington in St. Louis.

My cousin was recently injured in a wrestling match in NJ, an account of it can be found in the news section of the forums posted by seneca I believe.

Any info anyone can tell me would be appreciated.

Interesting Story about Patrick Rummerfield. Not sure if I agree with what Dr. Macdonald says about trying harder and getting function back, nobody tried harder than me and I got nothing back.

It is interesting though the theory about two injuries of the spinal cord creating regeneration. If this prove true, who knows, maybe someday they will be creating secondary injuries in new injuries to produce recovery. It would be an interesting study.

"Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

CousinMike, I assume that you are referring to Carl Riccio. If so, I have spoken to the family. They are one of the reasons why I felt the need to put up this forum and why I posted the article. Wise.

To a new family who may have found us-we are so very sorry that you've been thrust into this voyage. You've come to the right place for help. If you don't read one other thing, Dr. Young's article (mentioned above) is crucial. I think we all wish we'd had such a resource. May God be with you.

Wise. What another great resource that people can tap into! Thank you so much again for the wealth of information you impart to others. PLG

This is in response to Curtis, although I notice his post is a couple of months old. I agree that for some folks, no matter how hard they try, they will not regain function. However, if function is going to return, I believe that extra effort in participation in therapy, i.e. working your butt off, does improve the amount of function that will be regained, especially in the early months. I was told this early after my injury by an Indian doctor who had specialized with SCI patients in India using Eastern medicine (a friend of my sister's). This may be anecdotal but I ended up gaining far more return than the rehab staff predicted I would. I also thought it was sad how many of my fellow patients would either refuse their therapy sessions, or go and put in minimal effort. I have no medical evidence to back up my theory, just my own gut feeling that had I not worked so hard, I would not be as well off as I am now. I tend to think there may be a window of opportunity for retraining to occur, or for other parts of the nervous system to take over the function of the damaged portion. I would be curious as to what Dr. Young has to say.

Dr. Wise Young,
    You are so great!

Vahid (New Member)

dunwawry, I wish I knew what the window of opportunity is for recovery of function. While it is true that the most recovery usually occurs during the first six months after injury, I know people who have recovered a year or more after injury. It probably depends on the severity and type of injury, whether there is demyelination and how much non-use there was. What I do know is that there is insufficient justification for doctors telling patients that they should not expect any recovery more than a 6-12 months after injury. I know of sufficient exceptions of this rule that this pessimistic rule should be put away and not be used to deprive people of hope and motivation to work hard at recovery. It is true that not everybody recovers. On the other hand, it is also true that if people are discouraged and do not try, fewer people will recover. Wise.