Thread: Help - Bladder Problems!

Help - Bladder Problems!

My bladder has been working overtime these last few days, i.e. i need to pee almost every hour and if i don't, i start leaking. I'm not drinking much, just a few glasses of water. What's going on? Do i perhaps have a kidney problem or UTI? I'm a T-10 incomplete para (5 yrs post), using Ditropan (5mg) - just one in the morning (use to work fine) and i don't cath. Please advise because, i'm really concerned about this and it's becoming unbearable. My sleep is also broken continously because of this. My urologist is only available to see me on the 1st of February so, your help and advise would be highly appreciated now.

UTI's and frequent urination

A UTI can irritate the bladder and make you need to go more frequently; it can cause leakage as well. If that's the case, you'll probably need antibiotics. No doubt there could be other causes as well; the only thing I can tell you is what you already know, that you need to see your urologist, unless there's another doctor you can see before Feb. 1.
    Good Luck.

Shawn, don't restrict your water intake because you want to stop leakage. It will make an infection worse. Drink at least 2 liters or more of fluid a day. Do you have a fever? Does your urine look cloudy? Is there blood in your urine? If your urine is clear and you do not have a fever, it may not be due to a urinary tract infection. If you cannot get to your urologist until February 1, go to an emergency room and get a diagnosis.

Wise.

Thank you for the reply Dr. Young and Jim D.
    Dr. Young, i don't have a fever and my urine looks just a little cloudy this morning - almost clear and no, i haven't noticed any blood in my urine. I guess, i have a UTI then? Is there something i could take or do that would help before my appointment with the urologist or, is it a must that i go to an emergeny room from a diagnosis now?

If you don't have a fever and the urine is only slightly cloudy, it is not an emergency. You may be able to hold off for a week until your appointment with the urologist if you can stand the inconvenience of the leakage.

In an emergency room, they will do a urine analysis and culture. The urine analysis (which consists of looking at it under a microscope for the presence of inflammatory cells and also testing for kidney function) may indicate that you have an infection, blood, or sediment suggestive of a stone. They would probably call a urology consult and prescribe an antibiotic. Urinary frequency suggests that something is irritating your bladder. Your urologist would be better able to find out the cause.

Wise.