Thread: Recommendations of SCI Rehabilitation centers in the Dallas, TX area?

Recommendations of SCI Rehabilitation centers in the Dallas, TX area?

Hi again. This is Jan.

I was wondering if there is anyone familiar first hand with SCI Rehabilitation centers in the Dallas, Texas area? Which ones would you recommend and which ones would you avoid and why? This is Jan again, trying to do the legwork for my 31 yr. old stepson, Todd, who 2 weeks ago had a surfing accident in Maui, Hawaii and has a C5 SCI. He still remains in intensive care in Maui Memorial Hospital. His doctors decided to do an additional surgery for his comfort, and put in a temporary trachea and stomach tube. My husband said the surgery went well and Todd is much more comfortable. I REALLY appreciate everyone who has sent answers and insights to my previous posts. I have forwarded all this information to my husband in Hawaii. I think this invaluable, first-hand information helps him so much. It helps give us direction and hope. We are still praying for him to get strong enough to breathe on his own and eat solid foods. To answer someone's previous question, yes he was in "good shape" prior to the accident so that should help him in this recovery process. He was not a smoker either.

One of our biggest challenges also is getting the financial support to offset all these enormous bills. Unfortunately, Todd was inbetween jobs and was uninsured. I know my husband has talked with the necessary hospital personnel re: public aide. Anyone have any helpful suggestions re: getting financial aide for Todd's behalf? We really need any first hand advice, the more specific the better. It is most likely, Todd, will be moved back to the Dallas area where his mother and brother live and where he was raised. My husband and I live in Chicago. How do we go about finding the best facility for Todd's rehabilitation? Would he most likely be "living at a facility" for a time? We really don't know anything, so excuse my questions if they sound so simple. We need everyone's advice.

Again, thank you to everyone for taking the time to help us and respond to our questions. This is a wonderful site for so many people.

Jan L.

Hi, Jan

Can't answer your question re rehabs in Texas - I'll leave that to our Texas members!

But, re getting Medicaid and SS for your son - the social workers at the hospital who treated my son were very helpful and instrumental in getting us set up with both services. Medicaid, although a federal program, is administered state-to-state, so you'll be in the same boat we were. You'll have to get him on Medicaid in Hawaii, which will cover his hospital expenses while he's in acute care; then, when he moves back to Texas, he'll have to register there for medical expenses he will incur in Texas. Start both processes now! Even though you won't be able to complete them til your son actually arrives in Texas, you can start the paperwork. Also, you can start the process for Social Security/Disability in Hawaii, but we found it was just too confusing for the Social Security beauro-types to handle the paperwork between two states. I would get him set up with SS in Texas.

It's important for you or your husband to talk with your son about power of attorney - probably your husband would be best, as he's there where your son lived. That way, he can close out your son's bank accounts, etc. and initiate the Medicaid process. (Although Medicaid doesn't require POA, I found it helpful) It was also helpful in getting medical records, etc. The hospital may be able to help your hubbie with this - or perhaps even your son's bank.

Hope this helps; feel free to email me if you have other questions.

Jan - You're asking all the right questions. Todd is lucky to have you as an advocate. You definitely want to start the social security / medicare application process as soon as possible. Also, check with the Texas Rehabilitation Commission (TRC) to see if Todd will be eligible for services. They can be a valuable resource. Finally, while I'm not familiar with rehab centers in the Metroplex area, a good place to start searching would be Health South. Good Luck.

Social Security Administration:
    http://www.ssa.gov/

Texas Rehabilitation Commission:
    http://www.rehab.state.tx.us/

Health South:
    http://www.healthsouth.com/hsus/HSUS...e/pg_index.jsp

Rehab in Texas and air medical transport

Jan - Go to the website for the National Spinal Cord Injury Association: www.spinalcord.org Under 'hot topics' on the left, click on 'rehabilitation' There you will find Factsheet #4, Guidelines for Selecting a Facility; there is also a listing, by state, of rehab facilities accredited in Spinal Cord Rehabilitation as well as a list of the Model Spinal Cord Injury Systems of Care. Texas Institute of Rehabilitation Research is one of these latter 16. NSCIA will also send you a 'new injury' packet of resources and helpful information; request it by email at: nscia2@aol.com or call our Toll-free Helpline at 1-800-962-9629.

For information on 'air medical transport' go to a search window (I used the AOL search), enter the topic. There are several companies that provide this service, including some that will provide guidance when there is a financial need. CRF

I know it is early, but if you can find a good rehab place that is a Model Spinal Center, you will be better off than placing the guy in a "rehab and ears pierced while you wait" place.

Craig in Denver, TIRR in Houston, etc... are among the Model Spinal Centers.

Baylor Rehab Institute in Dallas is supposed to be good, even though they are not a Model Center.

Also call 972-323-9393 in Dallas and pick Brad's brains. I have a high confidence in Brad, himself a high paraplegia person and working in rehab business in Dallas.

good luck