Thread: SCI Facility Recomendation?

SCI Facility Recomendation?

My husband was injured 1/10 and will be transferred to an SCI facility sometime in the next week. Any personal experience or recommendations on facilities in the Connecticut, metro NYC area--I have spoken with Burke and Gaylord? Does it make any sense for me to look at these facilities personally prior to committing?

My son did his rehab at Kessler Institute in West Orange, N.J.; I highly recommend it. The SCI program coordinater is Sandy DeLeone, at 1-973-243-6927. If you have any questions, please feel free to email me. Kessler does a great job of family education, also. Good luck!

facility

Both facilities are CARF accredited--commission for accredidation of rehab facilities. Personally, I prefer Mt Sinai in NY, it is both CARF as well as a Model SCI facility. I have helpeda number of people select facilities. Please visit www.spinalalcord.org and review fact sheet number four Besides visiting I recommend talking to former patients.
    Good luck and welcome (wish It was under better circumstances)

rehab facility selection

4sue - you have been given appropriate resources and guidance. Factsheet 4, Guidelines for Selecting a Rehab Facility is provided by the National Spinal Cord Injury Association (NSCIA) along with a listing of the CARF and Model System facilities, both through NSCIA website: www.spinalcord.org or email: nscia2@aol.com or the Resource Center at toll-free 1-800-962-9629. NSCIA also provides a 'New Injury' for persons and their families; you can request one by email or phone.

The National Institutes of Disability and Rehabilitation Research have a range of criteria by which the Model Spinal Cord Injury Systems of Care Centers are selected; there are 3 Model Systems in the N.E. U.S.: Kessler Institute of Rehab in West Orange, NJ, Mt. Sinai School of Medicine, Dept of Physical Medicine and Rehab in New York City and Boston University Medical Center, Dept of Rehab Medicine in Boston. The rehab facilities with CARF accreditation are accredited in Spinal Cord Rehab. In addition to the two already noted, there is the Helen Hayes Rehab in West Haverstraw, NY.

After reading NSCIA Factsheet 4, you should be more familiar with the kinds of questions you will want to ask. If you can visit, that is often helpful to families in making a selection. And lastly, you will want to talk with your insurance case manager/benefits provider, etc., to learn the number of both acute and subacute rehab days that are available and what facilities the policy will approve for rehab. CRF