Thread: leakage protection-post Mitrofanoff

leakage protection-post Mitrofanoff

I know that there have probably been tons of postings on this subject, but I have to let you know our experience. My 9 year old daughter is a T-12 complete. She was always wet between cathings and had to wear diapers. She had the surgery in November, the foley she had in was removed on Jan. 3. On January 6th she decided to try to cath herself. SUCCESS! She is now totally independent with her cathings. She was not happy with me when I decided the surgery was the best thing for her, but now realizes that without it, she would still need help and would not be as independent. She is staying dry most of the time with only a minor leak every once in a while. My question is, Now that she is not so wet, what do you suggest that we use instead of diapers to catch the leaks? She has used them since her SCI June of 2000. Thanks.

Ok, I'm a guy so take this with a grain of salt. But I've read that some women use maxipads because the leaks don't warrant a diaper. It's early for her to use them only being 9, but for urinary leaks I'd guess it would be less combersome than a diaper.

~Rus

"We are not brave because we are free. We are free because we are brave." ~ Rich Ward (Stuck Mojo / Sick Speed)

Poise and a couple of other companies make urinary incontinence pads. They fit inside regular underwear like sanitary pads with an adhesive strip along the bottom. They come in different strengths depending on degree of leakage. You can find them in the incontinence section of your local drug store.

Hi, Laura:
    I, too, had the surgery done in the summer of 2000. I have not had a single leak since b/c my surgeon did the "sling" along w/everything else. Maybe you could look into that?
    Or, what Scorpion said...she could wear maxi pads, depending on the amount of leakage she has.

Good luck!

Keep me away from the wisdom that does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children -- Kahlil Gibran

Padding

I would also encourage you to explore the wide variety of padding available for adult women with incontinence problems other than diapers. Many are much more discrete and easy to manage as well. I would avoid regular maxipads as often their bulk can create problems with skin, and they are really not designed to absorb urine. Look at some of the pads that have absorbent gel as they tend to work a little better.

A good place to start is this company.
    http://www.hdis.com/
    They will send you a sample pack of different products to try, with one or two of each brand of the same type product. Their prices are pretty good, and you can then decide which product works best without having to purchase large numbers for your evaluation.

You should also talk with your urologist about possible medications that could help to keep her dry between caths, or changing the ones she is on now. Sling procedures are generally delayed until after puberty, but you can ask about this too.

(KLD)

Thanks to all

I really appreciate all the good advice given. Male or female responders, it doesn't really matter, because I know that you "live the life" and know what you are talking about. She did have the sling done too and today there were no leaks at all. She does take Ditropan XL. I am trying to convince her that she can now wear underwear with a pad of some type, but she is convinced that "dippers" (as she calls them) are the most comfortable. I really think that she is more concerned about a bowel accident than anything else. We do have that under control with a "pos" every night. She even got her first underwear since the accident for Christmas. I thought that might make it even more enticing. Thanks again to everyone.

an update for all

For the last few days we have been in underwear with a poise pad. They really work well for her. She has had no leaking at all but they do give her the comfort of knowing she has something there in case of a bowel accident. Thanks for the help!!!