Thread: Body Worlds 2 Exhibit

Body Worlds 2 Exhibit

Last Friday my husband and I took my father-in-law to the Science Center in Cleveland to see Body Worlds 2. We all thought it was fabulous! It's all real people - well, the insides anyway. A German physician, Dr. Gunther von Hagens, has developed a technique called plastination that enables him to preserve the organs and other vital systems in people who have died, and display them in a very graphic (but tasteful) way.

There were dozens of people in different poses, like a figure-skating pair, or a javelin-thrower, or a lasso-er, that had their skeletons plus all the muscles shown in the proper tense or relaxed state. Some had some organs, some not. I got to see a close-up view of the central nervous system, including the entire spinal cord. I now know exactly what the conus medullaris and cauda equina look like, in 3D. There were also displays of nearly every organ alone, with normal and diseased side-by-side. What an education!

This exhibit is not for everyone, but if you want to know what the human body looks like inside, and a pretty good explanation of how it works, see this if you get a chance. It's in Cleveland until September, then goes to Toronto, then Philadelphia. There's a permanent exhibit in Chicago.
    Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.
    ~ Arthur Ashe

I'd really like to see that exhibit.