Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SSI and how it works...

SSI and how it works...

I now live with my mom and I'm a student. I have a job interview tomorrow morning; as some of you might know by reading my previous post. I now receive SSI, not much but how would a job affect my SSI. This is a job at a music store, nothing big. I would like a part-time job now because 1) I am able and ready to be out there and earn my money like everyone else, 2) I am tired of being home and want to have more interaction, 3) I need more job experience and skills to build my resume which is the main reason why I want to work part-time.
    I know I have to report to Social Security if I get a job but how much will they take off from my SSI. Anyone know?
    If my SSI is taken away complete and if I make less money than my SSI by working then it is not worth working and going to school at the same time. I just rather not work and focus 100% on school and keep receiving my SSI. BUT, if I make just about less than my SSI and if it's not affected then it would be great because then I can save money for my car with the money coming in from the job.

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

•--------------------------------------------------------------•
    T5 Incomplete (06/02/03)- Walking with no assistance.

Let's see if I remember this correctly~
    Every months income before taxes has to be submitted. They take this total and deduct $85 from that. Then they deduct 1/2 subtracting that from your SSI amount. This will be what you receive from them.
    In other words: example at $579.00 a month SSI
    lets say....432.00 income one month
    minus the....85.00 not counted
    leaving.....347.00 income counted
    half of that173.50
    deducted from your $579.00
    gives you..$405.50 SSI check
    I believe this is the correct procedure.
    To me it meant my son was making about $3 or so an hour after all But he was
    working giving him all that good things that come with it plus it adds to his quarters he had built since his injury, as there is a time frame of what I thought was within three years to do so.

*Validation anyone~ Now if he adds to that within the time frame needed, he will build up his credits and he will qualify for SSDI and medicare, right?

Oh yeah, choose your hours wisely~ meaning don't work hours that take away more than you are willing to give or may stress you out because it won't be worth it to you in some ways then BUT it is in so very many other ways!

With us, my deal with my son was to pay for his gas back and forth to work as I would have for therapies, making up for some of the loss of his SSI.
    You see, adding up the $405.50
    plus his income....... 432.00 but less taxes...
    his total income was $800.00 combined
    which is $200.00 more than SSI plus the gas money I give him...

Your education is most important but the experience of employment is too~

My best to you! ~ T.

[This message was edited by teesieme on 06-22-05 at 09:38 AM.]

Hi Oscar;

Another way to build your resume and get social interaction is through volunteer work or a non-pay internship. SSI is mediocre at best but it is tax free and most retail jobs, such as a music store, will not pay enough to make it worthwhile to lose your SSI.

Good luck to you.

John

"Hope is like a road in the country; there was never a road, but when many people walk on it, the road comes into existence." Lin Yutang

contact SS directly with your questions.

Too many people get screwed trying to do the right thing.

Originally posted by john smith:

Hi Oscar;

Another way to build your resume and get social interaction is through volunteer work or a non-pay internship. SSI is mediocre at best but it is tax free and most retail jobs, such as a music store, will not pay enough to make it worthwhile to lose your SSI.

Good luck to you.

John

"Hope is like a road in the country; there was never a road, but when many people walk on it, the road comes into existence." Lin Yutang
    I AGREE W/ MR SMITH. NOT WORTH IT. VOLUNTEERING IS JUST AS GOOD--OOPS CAPS ON

"Man is bound to follow the adventurous promptings of his scientific and inventive mind and to admire himself for his splendid achievements" Carl Jung

Liz321,

am I right though with the deductions of and in regards with SSDI/Medicare?

Os, did you work prior your injury as time frame is similar to my sons...

My son is thinking of returning to work because of this...down the road with SSDI as he is unable to commit to a college just yet with possible move~

Thanks~ T.

Look into setting up a PASS plan (plan for achieving self support). You submit a form detailing your career goals and what you will need to attain those goals (i.e. a vehicle, equipment, supplies - all need to be work related, however creatively it fits those needs)
    If approved, SSA will give you that much extra a month to set aside to pay for these things. If you are working, much of your income can go towards these goals (therefore not considered income) and you will still be eligible for SSI -depending on how much you make, of course.

Hope this is somewhat clear. Maybe someone knows more about this? Good luck.

Peace

www.gravityfreegraphix.com

I have thought about voluntter work and I have done it in the past but I think an actual paid job looks better in a resume than just volunteer. I now receive $800 from SSI. I dont know what to do now. I have the interview in 2hours but I guess I am going to let them know if there is an openning for a part-time job because I had filled out the application looking for fill time. Should I tell them that this is my first job after the injury and that I want to try it out as part-time and see how it works out?

•--------------------------------------------------------------•
    T5 Incomplete (06/02/03)- Walking with no assistance.

I forgot about the PASS...good thing to do if you are able/willing to save as such.
    Wow, you considered full time plus college?
    You sound ambitious! Good for you!

Contacting SS is best to do IF you get someone willing to work with you, answering questions in your best interests...I think you can go online and find answers in their website too prior to a call.