Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: transition to manual chair

transition to manual chair

i'm about to attempt the transition from a power chair and a drop floor minivan to a manual chair and possibly a standard car. any helpful tips/stories out there? should i do it slow or quick? i should have my upper body built up enough for transfers in a month or so. if you don't know i'm a c-6 6'3'' 270lbs[?]

'Those who would trade liberty for safety deserve neither.' - Benjamin Franklin

well spiney...i have a power chair, and a manual chair...use the manual almost exclusively...im not back to driving yet, but have started to try to do some car transfers...with some assist from my PT...

have you attempted car transfers yet? and yes, your upper body does need to be quite strong to do car transfers...also, i'm c6 6'5'', guessing around 200..

_________
    don't ever become content with SCI...

Buy or find access to a 'rickshaw', this will bulk your shoulders and triceps(if u have) for transfers. My Uncle welded one from specs from one at rehab for around 100$ instead of the ridiculously priced ones for sale. You do weld, don't u? Anyways its tough at first but I've never had a powerc and always done car transfers. Good Luck! I'm 6'2-3, make sure u have good leg room.

Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies...

great man....push push push.....go out to some big parking lots and push that thing..\

Do you have triceps?> also, for loading in/out of car, be sure and get quad quick releases, makes for one handed wheel removal.

if you will be using a board, take another look at my car transfer video.

one last thing. a 90 Degree frt end makes a huge difference for quad transfers. especially tall quads like us.

your on your way to your independance, you squirel(SP) fucker

"Man is bound to follow the adventurous promptings of his scientific and inventive mind and to admire himself for his splendid achievements" Carl Jung

cspine,

i'm a c6-c7, 6'0 - 200 lbs, manual chair, i drive a toyota tundra. good exercise in itself getting in and out. i bought it last october and it took some slight adjustments to become fluid with loading, as i was previously driving a minivan. I average about 40 seconds to load myself and breakdown my chair. if you are planning to break your chair down and load, do the strength building exercises first, the rickshaw is an excellent idea for doing that. One tip, if you are buying a new vehicle, Toyota offers an adaptive device rebate up to $1000 on all its vehicles. You can find it on their website, most sales people have no idea it exists...

Hey right on man!

Im going to throw in stretching.Make sure you stretch your shoulders out good every morning,watch your rotator cuffs for the first little while.If they start gettin sore or stiff on ya,give em a light stretch and take it easy..

Your a big guy my friend,youve got a lot of weight to move around for a C6,so im gonna say take it a little slow and steady.Your about to give your shoulders a heck of a blast and the last thing you want to do is wreck em right away by over doing it..Good luck buddy

~~Somewhere between happiness and sadness,i need calculate,what creates my own madness~~

I'm w/ Shaun, a little concerned about the effects of the Ironman on what aren't yet iron shoulders.

Slow and easy. No rush. If your shoulders hurt go back to the power chair for a bit. You might try swimming, it's good for the shoulders.

I think Cspine can do whatever he puts his mind to.

What's with all the tall guys in this thread? 6'5", 6'3"? Y'all should have been playing basketball, not breaking your necks!

"...I mean the wheelchair would be a thing in the past
    And us quads can talk about the past and laugh"-Professirx
    http://unite2fightparalysis.org/

Originally posted by Shaun:

Hey right on man!

Im going to throw in stretching.Make sure you stretch your shoulders out good every morning,watch your rotator cuffs for the first little while.If they start gettin sore or stiff on ya,give em a light stretch and take it easy..

Your a big guy my friend,youve got a lot of weight to move around for a C6,so im gonna say take it a little slow and steady.Your about to give your shoulders a heck of a blast and the last thing you want to do is wreck em right away by over doing it..Good luck buddy

~~Somewhere between happiness and sadness,i need calculate,what creates my own madness~~
    good catch shaun on the stretching, very important.
    spine, your going to be sore as hell for a few months, no doubt. i cant imagine dragging another 70 pds around. im 6;2 200, that is as high as i will go. its comfortable.
    when you do it, i would just do it , all or nothing. get the pain over with faster like that

"Man is bound to follow the adventurous promptings of his scientific and inventive mind and to admire himself for his splendid achievements" Carl Jung

the ymca here ditched the rickshaw for a multipurpose machine. im up to 4 sets of 10 @175lbs on the chest press form 112lbs 4 weeks ago. i think my muscles are waking up.

'Those who would trade liberty for safety deserve neither.' - Benjamin Franklin

Originally posted by fuentejps:

i would just do it , all or nothing. get the pain over with faster like that
    Unless that pain is comin from a torn/pulled/strained rotator cuff or shoulder muscle.Then hes done pushin and right back in his power chair till its healed enough to try again.How much wider is your manual chair gonna be compared to your power?

Hey Spiney 175 bench press is pretty cool man,but what about your shoulders?

Shoulder External Rotation-Infraspinatus, Posterior deltoid, Rhomboids,Teres minor

Rowing-Posterior deltoid, Rhomboids, Latissimus dorsi, Infraspinatus, Teres major and minor, Middle trapezius.

Shoulder Extensions-Posterior deltoids, Latissimus dorsi,Teres major

Shoulder Depressors-Lower trapezius, Latissimus dorsi, Teres major, Pectoralis minor.

Tricep Extension-Triceps, Anconeus