Thread: "Your Kind Not Welcome Here" Wheelchair Access Article

"Your Kind Not Welcome Here" Wheelchair Access Article

This happened in the city I live in. I would not have been so nice about it had it happened to me!!

Wheelchair access
    Published: 06/9/05

Along with myself, most North Central Chapter Paralyzed Veterans of America use wheelchairs.

A PVA member tried to access a flower shop recently but could not get out of his vehicle because the shop was using part of the accessible parking space as a display for potted flowers. I visited the flower shop and took a picture of the plant-filled space so I could send the business owner a letter with the picture enclosed to inform him to keep the space clear of merchandise.

As I drove away, the owner ran me down and asked why I was taking pictures. I explained. He stated that he didn't need "my kind" buying from him and if I or other people who use wheelchairs shop there in the future, he will either kick us out or charge us 10 times more than the cost of the items.

For all of the businesses that have added accessible parking, widened a doorway, built a ramp or lowered a counter, PVA would like to thank them.

Ryan Green North Central Chapter PVA Sioux Falls

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...506090343/1053

~I now contain-with this new curiosity, with this flaming capacity to care once more, with reborn capacity to sing-I now contain the awful capacity to want and to love.~ Anne Rice

Kristi,
    This sounds similar to the guy in Indiana who wasn't allowed to bring his Service Dog into a local restaurant while on a date.

It hit the Indy Star and a lot of people sympathized with the guys plight and boycotted the restaurant.

Owner put apology and welcome notice in the Indy Star a week later because he had no business.

And, I am sure not a day goes by that he's not reminded of the situation he started by being insensititive and narrow-minded. As his one time loyal patrons have long memories.

Marsha

Thank mom+dad for long retentive memory!

I know I'm going to get flamed for this but anyway

Some crips are so friggin touchy and really make us look like a bunch of angry, insecure people searching for stuff to gripe about.

The person who wrote this has a valid complaint, sure ... but going to the trouble of bringing a camera to take a photo suggests dodgy motives, IMHO. Why not park elsewhere and just chat to the shop owner and explain that the space is really necessary etc etc, then if he complains, get uptight.

I'm guilty of leaving foul language notes on the windscreens of people who park in 'my space' so I hope I don't sound self righteous.

Oh ye, maybe I'm a bit weird, I get irritated when people are too politically correct.
    Phil.

--
    Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups.

Every PVA chapter has an officer whose job it is to monitor the community and handle member issues related to accessibility, including both the ADA and other laws. Since he said he went out there as a result of a member complaint, it would only make sense to take his camera. If he had not, it would not be very responsible fulfillment of his office. I assume he did not park and get out of his vehicle to talk to the owner because the only accessible space was taken up by the flowers!

I only wish he had included the name of the florist so that others could also choose not to be served there.

(KLD)

Originally posted by Phil:

Why not park elsewhere and just chat to the shop owner and explain that the space is really necessary etc etc, then if he complains, get uptight.
    Depending on the city, there may not be decent parking for blocks. That's one reason.

But, I've had owners come out and start ranting about my taking pictures of their store. Hell, I was only taking pictures of neon signs reflected on wet pavement. That is the mindset of some owners of stores. And no, there was no ADA issue. Some people are business licenced nutjobs. So, don't even think about approaching these people ... they are nuts! Paranoid, defensive nuts.

The Argus Leader edited out the flowershop name and address due they have the RIGHT to edit unless YOU pay. This was a free letter. I did my research and found out it was the Flowerama on Marion Road. Not a lot of parking there at all, so for him to go to another spot might have not been optional.

You could go down the street and tons of buildings are not properly marked for wheelchairs. Just this owners ATTITUDE was far more than RUDE. He could have used better words or taken some suggestions and to MOVE the flowers.

Customers are always lazy when it comes to wheelchair parking. Either they use one when they don't NEED one or they feel the NEED to leave their shopping cart in the wheelchair parking. The door is maybe 10 feet away and they couldn't put it inside.

~I now contain-with this new curiosity, with this flaming capacity to care once more, with reborn capacity to sing-I now contain the awful capacity to want and to love.~ Anne Rice

Call your local newspaper & tv station & tell them what happened. If your paper has a speak out forum tell everybody about it in there too.

If the guy ran me down like that and said that shit to me I would have backed up and ran over his flower display.

Asshole

"life is sublime"