Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: " Murderball"

Quote Originally Posted by Jadis
    Mark Zupan's blog

no movie showing here either
    Here either. I'm a little disappointed, but I'll just wait & buy the DVD. I like watching movies at home better anyway.
    If there is light
    it will find
    you

--Charles Bukowski

how many Moms really want their sons out partying hard, talking trash, and getting clobbered daily? Note that the odds against making the quad-rugby team are just a little bit better than making a professional football team and there are almost no benefits. We'll have to travel more than an hour to find a movie theatre and actually see it.
    I know lots of quad rugby players. Many are very nice guys (and women) who don't spend all their time drinking, cursing and chasing women. Even Zupan has a full-time job. You don't have to play at the national/international level to be competitive in this game, it is pretty easy to get on a local team...there are local teams and an active league system and many of the players work or go to school and have a life that is not just quad rugby. When I go to local games, there are lots of Moms (and Dads, and sibs and girlfriends, etc.) cheering the teams on.

Zupan's bad-boy image is what this filmed needed to get attention though, so they used it in marketing. If you want to see (or rather hear) someone who comes across as a little more "normal", check out the radio interview that Andy Coen (also in the movie) did on "These Days" on Wednesday (second hour of the show) at www.kpbs.org

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by CurlieQCarrie
    Here either. I'm a little disappointed, but I'll just wait & buy the DVD. I like watching movies at home better anyway.
    For me, it was going to be the first movie I have gone to since my injury in 2001.

Arrow

Film about wheelchair rugby draws rave reviews, few viewers

7/30/2005, 12:37 p.m. CT By JAY REEVES
    The Associated Press

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) — The movie "Murderball" has all the makings of a big hit: Tough guys, violence, a little sex and a U.S. sports team overcoming long odds. Reviews have been fabulous.

So why aren't more people going to see it?

"Murderball" is the true story of the U.S. wheelchair rugby team, and the stars are real-life quadriplegic athletes. Their sport, also called quad rugby, is as much demolition derby as anything.

http://www.al.com/newsflash/regional...st=alabamanews

I watched the movie last nite, there were a total of six people in the theater and that was including my friend and myself, I was bummed out by the low turnout.

The movie's great I especially dug the Keith Cavill segments, he reminded of this guy I know. The movie was worth the 9.75.

with such low turn outs, the odds of release being expanded is going to be nonexistant.

We just got back from watching Murderball in NYC at Sunshine Theater. The AC was broken in theater four where it was playing and it was really hot in there. People were angry because they really wanted to see the movie. A group of four went to get their money back. So... the mgmt blocked the doors open and shazam, people kept filing in. In spite of the heat a nearly full audience of 200 people or more all watched the movie. At the end everyone clapped. They had laughed and cried and finally just applauded. I sat there half naked having removed my shirt and using it a few times to dry my eyes. Light streaming in from the open doors left me feeling a little exposed. But hey, it was worth it. My wife and her friend loved the movie. And so did I.
    Last edited by Jeff Weeks; 07-31-2005 at 01:51 AM.

I am going in about an hour and meeting friends there.

Hot wheels
    Quad rugby is the inspiration behind the new documentary 'Murderball'

By James Hebert
    STAFF WRITER
    San Diego Union-Tribune
    July 29, 2005

Inspirational is a Hallmark card. Inspirational is a Celine Dion song. Inspirational is a sunset or a love poem or maybe a newborn puppy.

Wheelchair rugby, also known as quad rugby, is inspirational too--onnly in a slightly different way. It's inspirational like a volcanic eruption, or a moster truck rally, or a particularly well orrchestrated mosh pit.

the rest of this article
    and a review here:

Forces of life collide in 'Murderball'

By David Elliott
    MOVIE CRITIC
    San Diego Union-Tribune
    July 29, 2005

"Murderball" is a lurid name for a sport that, in the movie with the same title, seems a little vague and silly--sort of bumper cares rugby played by guys in wheelchairs with slanted wheels that look like hammered trash lids.

the rest of this review
    (KLD)

i was very fortunate this past friday to be doing some experimental therapy at the Shepherd Center in Atlanta when Mark Zupan and Bob Luiano showed up in the gym for a photo shoot. after i finished, me and medic 1 went in the gym and watched the shoot and got to meet the guys. they are very cool. we also went to the Atlanta premiere of the movie where afterwards Zupan did a Q & A for the crowd. that lasted for about 20 mins. where we had to leave because of the next movie to show. there were probably 30 chairs and 250 AB's there...almost a sell-out. absolutely loved the movie...if you can, go see it.. i have a pic. with me and the guys, but the file is too large.....? oh well.

Jeff, please resize the pic or email it to jweeks@rci.rutgers.edu ..... we need to see the pic!