Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: " Murderball"

when will ppl ever learn a quad is not necessarily paralyzed "from the neck down"? even one reviewer had the stupidity to quote that definition and go on to state some dumb thing about these few lucky ones, or some such dribble.

in fact, i know more quads (me included going on 20 yrs) who have fairly good arm function than those that don't. and they are complete. complete/incomplete does not necessarily affect movement. read the ASIA scale, i wanna tell em...cept then they'd prob check out the measurement system in china....ROFL

one of the guys in the movie comments on this. i had to laugh cause just last fall a paramedic said to my face, "you're not a quad, i just saw you move your arms!"

Quote Originally Posted by cass
    one of the guys in the movie comments on this. i had to laugh cause just last fall a paramedic said to my face, "you're not a quad, i just saw you move your arms!"
    I can relate, Cass. i've had a doctor say the same thing to me.

its playing here on the 29th this month, gawd i hope i can remember.

yes. its showing in mpls at the landmark 7/29. very excited to see this.

Cool

Saw it in NY...

I went opening night, made the trek from Jersey. It was cool but I was the only person there in a chair, kinda weird. Anyway, I found out Zupan and the producers were gonna be at the theater to hang out after the show. It was real cool, talkin to them and all, but you could tell they were running on fumes from the crazyness of the past few days.

Many people from New Jersey may have gone to Kessler Institute of Rehabilitation and had Steven Kirschblum as their doctor. Steven is the doctor in the movie. The American Spinal Cord Injury Association has the following to say about the movie:
    "MURDERBALL" Now Showing at a Theater Near You: You may have already heard about "Murderball", a gritty, uncompromising documentary (86 minutes) from Dana Adam Shapiro and Henry Alex Rubin. The film follows the lives of the United States Paralympic Murderball Team over two Olympiads (2000 and 2004). Rated "R" for language and sexual content, it follows a team of determined individuals for whom sport is everything. They live hard, train hard, talk trash, and love to party !!!! While the members of the U.S. team do not represent themselves as heroic or special, they become exactly that as the movie unfolds. At one point, one of the principals describes "Murderball" as a sport where "the objective is to kill the guy with the ball." If you are a fan of sports, and enjoy documentary films, you should check out "Murderball." While this group of guys would never sit still as poster boys for the ADA, it is fitting that their film, whose message includes the fact that physical limitations are no match for determination, debuts during the 15 year celebration of that landmark legislation. One added bonus is that the film features one of ASIA's longtime members--Steven Kirshblum, M.D., of Kessler Institute in New Jersey.
    ForwardSourceID:NT000430EA

A Mother's Worst Nightmare?

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young
    The American Spinal Cord Injury Association has the following to say about the movie:
    ... They live hard, train hard, talk trash, and love to party !!!!
    Does anyone else see the irony in showing how "Murderball" humanizes those with paralysis. While a "Mother's Worst Nightmare" is what has happened to many "Moms" (and Dads) on this forum; getting involved with playing professional murderball could be one of our "Mother's Worst Nightmare" if their son joined this group.
    I think that the film, itself, is an important work (more important and for more reasons than a simple sports movie), but how many Moms really want their sons out partying hard, talking trash, and getting clobbered daily? Note that the odds against making the quad-rugby team are just a little bit better than making a professional football team and there are almost no benefits. We'll have to travel more than an hour to find a movie theatre and actually see it.
    Carl
    Last edited by carl; 07-28-2005 at 10:28 AM.

but how many Moms really want their sons out partying hard, talking trash, and getting clobbered daily?
    Hi Carl- boyz will be boyz, wether their momma likes it or not, wheelchair or no wheelchair. btw women play too. whats wrong with having fun?

I saw it last week with a bunch of my wheeler friends. I couldn't ask for a better movie. I laughed, I cried (more than once), and I wanted to hit things. And Canada kicked butt y'all! (Well, until they met New Zealand, but they're a much easier team to lose to).

Movie spotlight: 'Murderball'

Movie spotlight: 'Murderball'
    Thursday, July 28, 2005

By CHRISTINE M. COPPA
    SPECIAL TO THE HERALD NEWS

Murderball

Starring: Keith Cavill, Joe Soares, Mark Zupan

Directed by: Henry Alex Rubin and Dana Adam Shapiro

Where: Landmark Sunshine Cinema, 143 E. Houston St., New York

Call: (212) 777-FILM, Theater Code: 687

A motocross accident at Englishtown's Raceway Park rendered my amazing friend Keith Cavill a quadriplegic who - ever since that fateful day in 2003 - has spent his waking hours in a wheelchair. Then 22, Keith embarked on a journey down an uncertain path: seven surgeries, 11 months of physical rehabilitation and then, as luck would have it, a chance encounter with two filmmakers from New York.

Two years later, I sit down with a confident, independent 24-year old wearing a blue "courage" band on his wrist - the Spinal Cord Injury (SCI) bracelet - hoping to catch his 30-second "Murderball" spot on MTV — part of a promotional campaign advertising the highly acclaimed documentary about the sport also known as quadriplegic rugby.

"'Murderball' became my first outlet to a fulfilling life after my accident," says a proud Keith, staring at the plasma-screen TV on his bedroom wall. "It helped me attack phase two of my life."

In December 2003, Keith was approached by director Henry-Alex Rubin and screenwriter Dana Adam Shapiro, who came to Kessler Rehabilitation Center in West Orange. They wanted to film quadriplegics in their day-to-day activities for a working documentary about the sport called Murderball. It was there they met a special young man, three months into rehab.

http://www.bergen.com/page.php?qstr=...Y3dnFlZUVFeXky
    Last edited by Max; 07-28-2005 at 07:57 PM.

Mark Zupan's blog

no movie showing here either