Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: " Murderball"

i cant wait...i'm going july 29th to see it in columbus....

In Canada, Empire Theaters will have Murderball on July 15th.

http://www.empiretheatres.com/movies...gsoon_main.asp
    Krystal

two days away...

I'm going to see it on monday with a friend a wheelchair, in vancouver. I'll post my thoughts and the audience reaction after the preview.

i've got high hopes, and it's getting decent press.

one of the guys who created it is on the cover of the georgia straight.
    i know him

check it out... at www.straight.com

the article is a little to 'they're so brave' for my taste and doesn't review the film, but i guess any publicity is good, right?
    Last edited by v_feige; 07-09-2005 at 04:56 AM.

I'm surprized that there are quads with such high functioning upper bodies (six pack abs) that don't seem to have similar leg inervation. Is that common with incomplete cervical injuries? Does the opposite ever occur where the lower body functions better than the torso? After watching the trailer, I realized how woefully ignorant I am of how "incompleteness" can manifest.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley
    I'm surprized that there are quads with such high functioning upper bodies (six pack abs) that don't seem to have similar leg inervation. Is that common with incomplete cervical injuries? Does the opposite ever occur where the lower body functions better than the torso? After watching the trailer, I realized how woefully ignorant I am of how "incompleteness" can manifest.
    My first room mate in the SCI rehab hospital was exactly opposite of what most SCI's have. He could walk like normal and everything, but his arms and hands were the only thing effected by his injury. I never understood how that could happen.
    Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley
    we had a walking quad on our team, and i have seen several at rugby tourneys
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

jim, yea i never understood it either...i believe its called ''central cord'' or something...

another thing...zupan, one of the guys from the movie, was on tv yesterday....and i happened to notice that he had fully functional hands...he had independent finger movement, able to count like, 1, 2, 3...ya know?

so i know he may have had a cervical injury...but he's obviously recovered...so how can he be listed as a quad ''functionally''?

You can have finger flexion at C8, but unless you also have your intrensic hand muscles (which spread the fingers) which come in at T1, you are technically still considered tetraplegic. They are pretty strict when it comes to classification in quad rugby from what I have seen with the teams I have been familiar with.

Central cord syndrome (which usually occurs with hyperextension of the neck) can cause worse impairment of the arms than of the legs or trunk because the damage is mostly in the middle of the cord, not on the edges. The cord is organized into tracts by both function and destination of the neurons, and those that supply the arms are more towards the center of the cord, while those that supply the legs and trunk are more towards the outside. This is why people wiith central cord injury may have more impairment in their arms than in their legs. It is considered tetraplegia if it occurs in the cervical spine (nearly always) and many are ASIA D.

(KLD)

I have a friend with central cord syndrome.
    Also, since I can spread my fingers I can't play?