Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Business just refused to put in ramp...

Business just refused to put in ramp...

Just returned from a business where the owner refuses to put in a ramp. Before I state the business I am calling the corporate office to get their thoughts.

In the mean time can someone give me steps to take to envoke ADA??

More later on exactly what transpired...

Did they offer some other accomodation? Carrying you into the store? Bringing merchandise to you outside the store? What type of business? Did you get the name of the manager on duty and speak to them directly?

(KLD)

Please provide us with some more details. There is group of attorneys in Los Angeles who do pro-bono work for the disabled that focuses mainly on accessibility issues/problems.

PN

are they remodeling?

I went to the store on 25 May 05, they carried me in, I asked them about a ramp.

I went to the store on 28 May 05, they carried me in. I asked if they were going to fix a ramp and the employee said I would have to ask the owner. I said Ok, I will get his name and number when I leave. Within just a few minutes the owner appeared and wanted to know what I wanted. I told him I would like to have a ramp installed for easier access to the store. The discussion that followed led me to believe he will not put in a ramp, (1) because he is strapped for cash and (2) he doesn't believe he is required to install a ramp for a building built in approximately 1955.

A well known nationaly advertised hardware store in Eastern North Carolina.

The curb height is 4".

They are not remodeling.

I have emailed the corporate office, but will not get a reply until Tuesday, 31 May 05.

I plan to write the editor of the local paper, call the local "trouble shooter" news crew, and possibly more, BUT IF ADA has no teeth in this area then I guess I'll drive further to another hardware store...

I thought ADA required ramps to be installed, as long as the business is making a profit. Is ADA law or not. If this is not an ADA requirement what good is ADA???

[This message was edited by em on 05-29-05 at 01:05 PM.]

If you contact the Western Law Center, let us know the results.

Western Law Center for
    Disability Rights
    919 South Albany Street
    Los Angeles California
    1-213-736-1031
    1-213-736-1432
    1-213-736-1000
    after hours: 213-736-1121

PN

With the information you have provided, it is my understanding that this bisiness is not required to install a ramp. If possible, take your business elsewhere. If that is not an option and you need to visit, ask him to build a portable temporary ramp out of wood. Cost maybe $70 for labor and material.

chasb - what parts of the story make you think the business is not required to have a ramp going into their business?

Paul Nussbaum - thanks much for numbers. I will give them a call on Moday, 30 May 05...

If these folks aren't required to have a ramp I don't get what ADA is/was all about...

Bigger problem: got some pretty fired up folks over this situation several of which have planned AM visits to store on Monday. I sort of want them to go, but on the other hand I want to see if ADA is worth anything.

If they all go, and he sees he's losing more business he might put down the ramp. But then ADA will not have been tested and the farce contiues.

There are a lot of people, having heard this story, fully believe the owner "has" to, by law, put down a ramp, but I'm beginning to get a different feeling...

[This message was edited by em on 05-29-05 at 10:07 PM.]