Thread: muscle tone

muscle tone

I am an L1 incomplete, 1.5 years since injury. Have quads down to knees, can walk in a walker. Top and inside and outside of upper legs can feel hot and cold and have good return. Glutes and hamstrings have no feeling,and are very weak.Are these the last to come in, or should I figure this is it? I wear lower leg braces, Have nothing below the knees except some touch sesation on the insides, front and back of lower legs. No movement at all in ankles and feet. To keep muscle tone in calves and ankles should I just do range of motion. I have no way of finding what exersizes I should be doing. My insurance is poor and everything seems up to me to figure it out. I also cannot get a straight answer to whether there was even a neurologist present when they did my surgery, I was told he was an intern and was never givin a name or recieved a bill. Do I need to get a neurologist to maybe tell me what is working as far as nerves and what is not? Any input is greatly appreciated. Galen from kansas city. If anyone would like to talk my e-mail address is mechanicgdr@aol.com

Recovery after SCI

After 1 and 1/2 years the majority of recovery that you can expect has already occurred. There is the possiblity of slow change over time but it is not likely to be as dramatic as any recovery you have already experienced. Chances are you have was is called a "lower motor neuron" injury to the lower parts of your legs and feet. With this kink of injury, we normally see marked muscle wasting. Range of motion will not have an impact on this. But it is still very important because, in order to walk, you need your knees and ankles to remain supple and flexible.

Normally, spinal surgery is done my neurosurgeons or orthopedic surgeons. It is not common practice for neurologists to be present during spine stabliazation surgery. A neurologist (or better yet) a rehabilitation physician could give you good information about your current condition, possible adaptations to improve your functioning and reliable information about what to expect in the future. But their presence at your surgery would not have made much difference.

I'm sorry to be delivering bad news.
    (RAB)