Thread: voice recognition software

voice recognition software

(typed by melissa's mom)

hi everybody, i figured i could get some help in this forum but i'm going to post it in care also.

i want to ask everyone if they have any suggestions on types of voice software.

as everyone can see, my mom is having to type my posts and that is the reason why i'm asking this question.

i'm having a lot of trouble with my wrist, which is essentially keeping me from typing anything. i'm having shooting pain up into my forearm and a lot of pain in my wrist.

i'm hoping it's nothing serious but i don't want to chance aggravating it by typing. (i haven't been able to type any emails in two or three weeks. sorry everybody who is waiting for me to reply to them.)

that is why i'm going to be getting some voice recognition software. i knew there were people here who have to use it all the time so i figured i could get some help on finding something that works well. i never wanted to use it because typing has always been something that i could do on my own, but i'm really afraid of permanently injuring my wrist.

i'd really appreciate any suggestions or comments on any kind of voice software. i've never purchased anything like this so i'm kind of lost. (ok, so i'm REALLY lost. lol)

thanks guys, melissa

on a side note, i was wondering if anyone here has ever had carpel tunnel surgery? my aunt had it done and she told me that before her surgery she had pain like i described to her. i really hope that i don't have it but i thought i would ask if any of you have ever been diagnosed with it. thanks again.

Life is a lesson you learn when you're through.

I use IBM ViaVoice Professional Edition 9.0. It is better for surfing the Web than for actual dictation. I tried dragon and a couple of the other cheaper packages, but they just didn't work as well for me. For surfing the Web, I believe IBM ViaVoice is actually faster than typing, because after you set it up with your favorite web sites, you just say the name of the site and it goes there. For dictation, it still misses quite a few words and it needs to be in a very quiet environment to work well. The microphone makes a big difference as well. I use in desktop microphone from Andrea Electronics which will work when you are within 4 ft. and that works well for me since I don't have to have someone put the microphone on for me. You can probably do this yourself so it won't be a big deal for you. The other downside to the Voice Software I have used is that they are all memory hogs. Also have quite a few bugs, but IBM technical support is usually pretty good.

You might also go to CNET.com. They usually have pretty good reviews on the software packages available and pricing.

Good luck and hope you get the hands feeling better where you want need the Voice Software.

Originally posted by melliska:

(typed by melissa's mom)

i'm having a lot of trouble with my wrist, which is essentially keeping me from typing anything. i'm having shooting pain up into my forearm and a lot of pain in my wrist.

i'm hoping it's nothing serious but i don't want to chance aggravating it by typing. (i haven't been able to type any emails in two or three weeks. sorry everybody who is waiting for me to reply to them.)

on a side note, i was wondering if anyone here has ever had carpel tunnel surgery? my aunt had it done and she told me that before her surgery she had pain like i described to her. i really hope that i don't have it but i thought i would ask if any of you have ever been diagnosed with it. thanks again.

_Life is a lesson you learn when you're through._
    Since I have extensive knowledge in Carpal Tunnel and Ulnar Nerve problems I would like to suggest you start taking anti-inflamatories and get wrist braces. You will need to sleep with the braces but it is better than the surgery. A lot of ppl who have the surgery have recurrences of CTS so it may not be the answer to your problem. Strengthening exercises for your wrist and arms will help.

Sorry to hear about your CTS though. I take it you are in a manual chair which is probably contributing to it.

"And so it begins."

Via Voice Profssional

Melissa, I responded under life forum but forgot to put what version of via voce i use. I have an older version 1999 of Professional. It was for all those IBM executives who lost their secretaries. IBM figured if the were going to dictate their reports, then the computer might as well type and cut out the middle man. i agree with evryone, all the voice recognition uses a ton of memory.

You should check with your regional assistive tech center for other opinions. They can do an assessment as well as help you get funding.

On the carpal tunnel if that is what you have...try the injection combined with anti inflammatory mes if your stomach will tolerate. I also had hard splints made so that I could use my wheelchair. I kept bending the metal rods in my soft splints.

voice recognition

If you just want to write with the software, upgrade to Microsoft XP. It has built-in voice recognition features that work in the Office applications.

If you want to control the computer too, Dragon is highly recommended.

gotta agree

I have to agree with other opinions here regarding memory for your computer and especially the microphone.

Of course a fast, high speed processor helps as well.

I know people who love Via Voice and others who swear by Dragon Naturally Speaking, so that's a coin toss imo.

If your computer is upgradeable, see if you can add some memory or even a faster processor. I think the most overlooked, but important thing is a quality microphone. The cheaper mics, even the ones that come with the software, aren't consistent enough. A good digital Mic with a USB connection will cost around $50, but is well worth the investment.

If you do it right it'll do a good job for you. Good luck!

I'm a C5 and have no use of my hands. I'm stuck on the old version of Dragon Dictate 3.0 (different from naturally speaking, but came with the 2.0 version). I'm sure that accuracy has improved, but this is more versatile than naturally speaking, uses fewer resources, and is easier to correct on-the-fly. Also, the requirement that you have to pause between each word goes well with my thought process, which I like to think of as ponderous and wise. Ok, maybe I'm a little slow but it's still pretty close to how fast an average person types. I just checked eBay and saw a naturally speaking 2.0 sold for $5.
    I also have a Kensington Track ball that I roll with the back of my hand and click with a pencil in my hand splint.

Voice software

I purchased the Dragon NaturallySpeaking software -- professional. It is expensive, but it is working very well. I also have multimedia Max which I use to control house functions. I did a lot of research and found the above two programs superior.

The most important aspect of all of this is to purchase the software from a vendor who will train you and offer you support. I found that I cannot use Dragon's speaking with the Microsoft millennium. It works fine with Microsoft 98 , Microsoft 2000. I expect it works fine with Microsoft xp. My vendor knew all of that and could correct any software discrepancies.

Good luck

I've never found a good microphone to allow me to get OS/2's Voice Type working, so I'm still typing with splints (it's gotten more difficult over time with the increased curve and back pain, but I refuse to stop doing it.)

I also have a Kensington Expert Mouse trackball. It's great.