Thread: getting Quickie Ti in car

getting Quickie Ti in car

I'm ready for a new chair and one requirement is that I can put it in my car all by myself. My recent chair, a Kuschall K4, is way too heavy for me to lift. At the moment I'm trying out a Quickie Ti with spinergy wheels. Everything's going pretty well only... the things that fit the wheels (axes?) are long, U-shaped: http://www.quickie-wheelchairs.com/A...D=262&CATID=20 and these things always seem to get in my way! Once the big wheels are off and the back is down, I put the front wheels (caster wheels?) in the door opening. Then I try to lift the chair over me, but I always have to fight with the U shaped things.... They make scratches everywhere. Anyone some advice?

try pulling back in 1st. i use a colours eclipe w/ non folding back. i take rear wheels off then grab the cross bar on the back, pull it over me then sit up.

"Man is bound to follow the adventurous promptings of his scientific and inventive mind and to admire himself for his splendid achievements" Carl Jung

i have a quickie ti, and though i do not currently own a car i have practiced a few times...i will try to remember what i did...

i think i start the same way as you, front wheels in first. i also need to lean the seat way back, then pass the chair over to where the front casters are near the passenger seat, and then i turn it so the casters go down to where the feet would be and the chair sets on the seat as if it were like a passenger. (make sense?) i have been able to do it this way with the back upright which is good cuz with their design you have to remove cushion and sideguards to fold the back, and that's just too much work!

the U things are a pain though, i agree.

Godspeed...
    freewheelchairmission.org

I have a quickie Ti and a Saturn ION. I keep the chair facing out (left) and grab the under bar with my right hand. Pull across and over body, rotating it 90 degrees clockwise so it fits snugly over the passenger chair. The passenger armrest gets banged up, and I tried putting tape over it, but I figure it's just cosmetic. Good luck with it.

I have a Quickie Ti and I have a 4 door 2003 Grand Prix, A 1998 4 door 4wheel drive s-10 blazer and a 78 cj-5 jeep sitting high in the sky. I break the chair down and pull it across my body to the passenger seat or to the back seat.Basicly the same as VSU said.

Maybe I should've mentioned I have no hand function and only wrist extension so grabbing the bar like vsu and mike won't work. Also trunk balance isn't really great. I'm going to try what Joey said [made sense ] but it's just those U things (haven't seen that on other chairs!).

Originally posted by Bke74:

Maybe I should've mentioned I have no hand function and only wrist extension so grabbing the bar like vsu and mike won't work. Also trunk balance isn't really great. I'm going to try what Joey said [made sense ] but it's just those U things (haven't seen that on other chairs!).
    no good hand function here either. just stick your fist under the grab bar and pull. i dont put my chair on passenger seat, i put it on the back seat.

"Man is bound to follow the adventurous promptings of his scientific and inventive mind and to admire himself for his splendid achievements" Carl Jung