Thread: BOWELS

BOWELS

HI S/N, I WAS TOLD BY A LADY FRIEND THAT MANGO JUICE CAN BE USED AS A ENEMA, I DONT KNOW HOW MUCH TO USE, CAN IT HARM ME?

[This message was edited by jakem on January 04, 2002 at 11:51 PM.]

Mango-bango

An excellent bowel cleanser-it is just too difficult to squirt a sufficient amount up there!

Mango Juice

I'm afraid that this is a case of stump the stars. I've never heard of using mango juice to support bowel care with spinal cord injury. I tried looking it up in a major reference for alternative medicine and in the biomedical literature and do not find any references to it. Fruit juice in general can speed up the bowels especially in larger quantities.

My prejudice is that there are no real magic answers and that one needs to eat a balanced, high fiber diet, drink an adequate amount of water and use the medications that your physician recommends to keep you pooping on a regular basis.

I sometimes drink mango juice and it does not do anything to me. Some people who are allergic to mango might respond but I don't think that it is a general laxative or stool softener. Wise.

Need Diet help

The first and last time I read this forum, I read a post that detailed a high fiber diet and no longer find that particular post. Would someone please be kind enough to re-post the diet.

I will be finally be moving to my daughter's house next week to help with her recovery and one continual problem she has is difficulty with her bowels, as was expected.

Since I will be doing all the shopping and cooking, I want to be prepared -- presently, her dad and fiance are handling this feat -- and do not fully understand the importance of diet --
    heck, they don't really even understand the severity of her injuries -- (a man thing...).

They're all in for a big change when I get there -- and they're also due for a break.

Apryl's Mom, put some paper in the printer and go to:

http://www.pva.org

They have some booklets in PDF format and one is on bowels. It has a list of high fiber foods included and a diary for weeding out things that cause problems. If you don't have Adobe for opening the file go to:

http://www.adobe.com

and get the free download of their reader. Most government agencies use adobe format so you'll need it sooner or later.

Manjo juice? Must be awfully sweet. Half of Florida swears by warmed prune juice...

DIET

Originally posted by Aprylsmom:

The first and last time I read this forum, I read a post that detailed a high fiber diet and no longer find that particular post. Would someone please be kind enough to re-post the diet.

I will be finally be moving to my daughter's house next week to help with her recovery and one continual problem she has is difficulty with her bowels, as was expected.

Since I will be doing all the shopping and cooking, I want to be prepared -- presently, her dad and fiance are handling this feat -- and do not fully understand the importance of diet --
    heck, they don't really even understand the severity of her injuries -- (a man thing...).

They're all in for a big change when I get there -- and they're also due for a break.
    HAVE HER TAKE METAMUCIL TWICE A DAY AND IT SHOULD HELP