Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Books

Quote Originally Posted by rdf
    Just finished Lisey's Story by Stephen King.

Now working on John Grisham's The Innocent Man.
    I just finished a new audio release of To Kill a Mockingbird. It's read by Sissy Spacek. She does an excellent job reading this one.

I also started the audio release of The Innocent Man. It's 10 cds and I made it through 8 of them last night. This one will make your blood pressure rise.
    William M.
    T 6/7 Complete - 4/20/74

i will start to re read all my favorite writers.
    i miss a good book.
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."

Well there is this one, written by someone you know--

http://lulu.com/unbreakable

I hear it's pretty good!

I'm reading Obama's book, The Audacity of Hope right now--he's a terrific writer and a very appealing guy.

Quote Originally Posted by kate

I hear it's pretty good!
    hmmmm...I can agree with this statement!! My only regret is that it is not autographed by the author but maybe someday soon???

I am really enjoying this Kate.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Dean Koontz's "Odd Thomas" books. There are three so far, and if you enjoy a hero with a heart of gold, action and the supernatural combined, you'll like these books.

I hear it's pretty good!
    I'm waiting for the Audiobook.
    BeeBee

Quote Originally Posted by Spadfan
    I just finished a new audio release of To Kill a Mockingbird. It's read by Sissy Spacek. She does an excellent job reading this one.

I also started the audio release of The Innocent Man. It's 10 cds and I made it through 8 of them last night. This one will make your blood pressure rise.
    I don't know Spadfan...The Innocent Man didn't appeal to me. Well, it did, but I didn't think it was anything that you couldn't see on A&E, Time, History or Discovery documentaries any day of the week. That's just my opinion, of course.

As to Lisey's Story, I liked it. To me, it wasn't top five King, but it might make my top ten.

I've read the first two Odd Thomas' books, Kendell, I'll have to look for the third one. I like the Koontz character who can't be out in the daylight due to his disease, also...can't recall his name offhand, maybe Christopher Snow or something similar. I think there might be two books with that character, if I remember right.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by rdf
    I don't know Spadfan...The Innocent Man didn't appeal to me. Well, it did, but I didn't think it was anything that you couldn't see on A&E, Time, History or Discovery documentaries any day of the week. That's just my opinion, of course. . .snip. . .
    rdf, you mean if I watch enough of A&E, History, etc. I will become desensitized to outrageous behavior and disgregard of the law like the police department, some judges and the DA of Ada, Ok?
    William M.
    T 6/7 Complete - 4/20/74

Quote Originally Posted by Spadfan
    rdf, you mean if I watch enough of A&E, History, etc. I will become desensitized to outrageous behavior and disgregard of the law like the police department, some judges and the DA of Ada, Ok?
    Not at all, friend. I was referring to similar cases that have happened throughout the country being documented and televised. I've seen a lot of similar cases on the above mentioned channels.

What happened in Ada, OK happens every day in this country, in many more places than Ada.

That's why I'm against the death penalty. I'd be for it if there was anyway they could be absolutely sure the man or woman being executed was guilty...but there is no way. Innocent people get executed in this great country every year, and that's a travesty.

The saddest thing about the book was the situation Grishman wrote about is all too common, and not something so rare that is unheard of. Sadly, it's all too often heard of.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Another one down. Such a Pretty Girl by Laura Wiess. I read the entire thing yesterday because once I started I couldn't put it down. It's got some strong content about sexual abuse, but it's a great book.

I am turning into such a hermit these days, just reading books. I wanna try to catch up though because with the spring semester starting on Monday, I know I'll be reading Geography chapters and Calculus equations more than anything else.
    If there is light
    it will find
    you

--Charles Bukowski