Thread: Need Guidance

Need Guidance

I'm not sure if this should go in Care or Caregiving. But tia for any help. HOW is the best way to get husband (T3 complete)from the floor back into the wheelchair? I know I asked questions about strength training, etc. before, but I need to know the mechanics of doing this. We' tried going from the floor to a short stool to a coffe table to the chair or something along those lines not to have to dead lift 200# from floor to chair, but even that is difficult. Any suggestions while I can still move parts of my own body?

martha

Getting Your Husband off the floor

can be relatively easy if he is in or has a manual chair. You lay the chair on its back and roll him into a sitting position on the chair. Then you should be able to life the chair upright. Remember to lift with your legs!!

"And so it begins."

If he can't help much or you can't get someone to help, I think a Hoyer lift would be the best and safest way.

TD That's Brilliant!

Why didn't I think of that. Hope I don't get a chance to try it anytime soon, but it has to be easier than what we've been going through. Thanks!

Rusty, I've suggested lifts, but he refuses. Guess he thinks he has one.

martha

Rustyjames,

Our Hoyer won't go all the way to the floor - even at its lowest, the straps from the sling won't reach the hooks. I assume different 'hoyers' (we call ours 'Oscar' - as in 'de la Hoya'!) may have different adjustments?!

As usual, the best advice for issues such as this comes from those of you who live it every day. You just don't realize what an incredible resource you are for each other!
    Most rehab programs make sure the caregivers have training in getting someone from the floor to the chair and have practiced it before discharge. If your husband's rehab program did not include this then I would suggest you contact a physical therapist in a rehab setting to see if you can get some training. There are back saving ways to accomplish this. Take care of yourself. (EMK)

Couple of ideas

The key is leg positioning. You may want to consider.

1. (Wheel)Chair to chair to floor.

2. Chair to floor and vice versa

I'm C6-7, 5'11" 170lbs 19mos post with limited hands, good right side, weaker left, manual chair. My PT taught me these moves as well as another quad.

1. I transfer from my chair to a 'club' type (typical) living room chair or sofa. Then extend my legs and lower myself with arms slowly to floor. Reverse is I flip the chair cushion up then tuck my legs as close as possible to me. Then use arms to push-up (lift my butt) about 6-8 inches off the ground (helps to lean forward but scary in the beginning) and into the lower part of the chair. Then I pull my wheelchair in front of me angled to the right. I then push up and sit on the arm of the chair (about a 10 inch lift). Once on the arm its an easy side to side transfer to the wheelchair. Took about 10 times with a spotter before I could do it alone.

2. This is tougher but great if you ever fall out of your chair with noone around or climb out of your chair by leaning forward placing your hands on the floor and swinging your hips down and low. (I swing to the left using my stronger right side for stabilization). Ok, once on the floor/ground bring your chair to your strong side. Then tuck your bent legs (this is critical) underneath you as close as possible (squat position). Take your strong hand/arm and place it on the corner of your cushion. In one motion push up with this arm (while leaning forward to the opposite side) and swing your hips up and over/on to the corner of the seat cushion. With practice this is a pretty fast motion.

It probably sounds complicated but don't be intimidated. At first I said "no way" but with practice and your own subtle variations it is very achievable and good for independence, exercise, etc.

Good luck and don't let him quit until he gets it!

Need Guidance

I have just recently been able to get myself off the floor (3yrs post) and it has been extremely liberating. I have a new found confidence in all the things that I do, since I am no longer concerned of falling. It will take lots of practice, however well worth it!! I go up and down stairs, escalators, jump in and out of machines at the gym,etc.

I muscle my way through it by positioning my legs in front of me, and since I no longer have an ass I sit on the footrest and place my hands behind me on the frame of the chair (just under the cushion) and I push myself all the way up til I get near the armrests then I grab 1 armrest at a time and from there your home free.
    Hope this helps !