Thread: quad over 50

quad over 50

how long sci and do you feel tired all the time.
    i am c6 c7 been sci 5/2001 this yr i am so tired all the time . i have no life besides work .which is at home . i see no oher humans besides my son and caregiver. i have a van but don/t have the strenght to back in the ramp i can go forward but everybody tells me that way is dangerous. so i don/t go out much.this is not living . what do you other quads do.also i live very rural. selling my home and moving is not an option

HI - I'm 54, quad for 36,going on 37 yrs. I'm also very tired most of the time, I think its mainly the side effects to all the meds...
    Like you, I only see my caregiver (husband). Once in awhile a family member, not often...
    I spend most of the time, watching tv, internet, watching my dog, very entertaining. Eating & sleeping. But its better than being six feet under.
    I'm very much looking forward to the lords return...
    One day at a time, thats all anyone has anyway....
    Hope your future days, are better.

Find joy in the small things. : )

cjlc

I'm 45, c4 quad, 30 years in Oct. - I see my caregiver (my brother) and my mom daily at meals. .. mainly its just me. I write therefore I live in my head. My dreams take me places also. On average I get out - running errands about 44 times a year.

"We can all be angels to one another. We can choose to obey the still small stirring within, the little whisper that says, 'Go. Ask. Reach out. Be an answer to someone's plea. You have a part to play. Have faith.' We can decide to risk that He is indeed there, watching, caring, cherishing us as we love and accept love. The world will be a better place for it. And wherever they are, the angels will dance."
    -- Joan Wester Anderson- American writer, author

Brazzel,

Please check your private topics. Thanks!

Shannon
    C6/7 incomplete

Originally posted by Rusty:

My dreams take me places also. On average I get out - running errands about 44 times a year.

I don't mean to change the subject, but this just made laugh to myself. Just that you said exactly 44 times, and didnt use a number like 50.

I will say this though. I hardly ever left the house untill I got my own car. I make myself go somewhere at least once a day. It really keeps me sane.

Hey Brazzel, sorry to hear you're having a rough time.

Could you possibly have someone make the little part that flips down on the end of your van lift a little bit longer so that the slope is more gentle? This could help you go on backwards, and maybe that would help you to be able to go out more. Any welding shop would be able to modify your ramp for you, or if you or a friend of yours could do it that's even better.

Krystal

Brazzel, when did you last have a good check-up? Do you have a physician who knows a lot about SCI? Have you been tested for low thyroid levels? If you are male, have you had your testosterone levels checked? Have you been tested for diabetes? Are you anemic? All of these problems can cause fatigue, and all can be increased risk due to having a SCI. It is important to rule out medical problems and med side effects first.

You also could be suffering from depression from your description of what is going on with your life. Fatigue and psychomotor retardation (a medical term) are common symptoms of depression.

Although many people with SCI describe increasing fatigue with aging, you should not assume that this is the cause without first making sure that you do not have a treatable medical condition in addition to your SCI.

(PS. I know lots of people who go up their van ramp forward. If you have the stregth and balance, I don't consider this unsafe. Who told you that?).

(KLD)

I'm a 48yr old (new)para so may not apply, but I go up my ramp forward only. Backwards is a pain in the butt. Long as you can keep your chair balanced, I lean forward to keep weight on front wheels, there is no reason not to do it this way.

"Rather be ridin' than rollin'"

Originally posted by snowbird:

Originally posted by Rusty:
    My dreams take me places also. On average I get out - running errands about 44 times a year.

I don't mean to change the subject, but this just made laugh to myself. Just that you said exactly 44 times, and didnt use a number like 50.

I will say this though. I hardly ever left the house untill I got my own car. I make myself go somewhere at least once a day. It really keeps me sane.
    There are 52 weeks in a year. My driver attends ballgames 8 Saturdays out of the 52 so I shop on the remaining 44 Saturdays. Other than gathering the things I need and maybe catching a movie 44 Saturdays is enough for me. Most people ignore me anyway so its not like I'm missing anything. I like kids cause they speak their mind and always say hi. So, yep... 44 is te number on average.

"We can all be angels to one another. We can choose to obey the still small stirring within, the little whisper that says, 'Go. Ask. Reach out. Be an answer to someone's plea. You have a part to play. Have faith.' We can decide to risk that He is indeed there, watching, caring, cherishing us as we love and accept love. The world will be a better place for it. And wherever they are, the angels will dance."
    -- Joan Wester Anderson- American writer, author