Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: is owning a car worth it?

is owning a car worth it?

I had a van but then I sold it because I was undergoing some surgeries, moving, and I just plain didn't like it so I never used it. Now I am trying to figure out if buying a car is a good idea or a bad one. I know I don't want another van because I don't like them- paying the gas, parking them, just driving them. I would want to get a car if I get anything. I am trying to figure out the pros vs the cons of getting one. Bacially does the cost outwiegh the benefits.

Do you feel having a vehical is worth it if you have one?? Or is it something you can live without?

Sometimes I think I want one just to shut everyone up about "you need it for you independance" There is a lot of pressure here.

I think it really depends on where you live, how often you use it and the availability of other modes of transportation.

A car wouldn't be worth it for me. Living out in the country with a house and garage would be a different story, but I live right downtown. Parking would be a constant hassle during winter, having to move it for snow removal. Plus, my drivers licence expired in 1993. Going through all that hoopla is just another hassle imo. Gas and insurance costs are going up... I don't think I'd be able to afford it.

Although it would be nice to escape the city once in awhile...

I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

I see in your profile your T4/5, so a car is definately doable. I just got a car a coule of months ago, and I don't know how I lived so long without it. I absolutely hated having to rely on other people to take me place, do my grocery shopping, etc.

I live in a smal/medium sized city, and there is no form of public transportation at all. Things are too far away to walk/wheel to, and it's very hilly around here too.

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

A car I guess us doable, I fear adding to my shoulder pain though. You have a point though, once I get a car I will wonder how I ever did without. I just wish they weren't so expensive.

I couldnt even imagine being without wheels.I enjoy just being able to giver a ''F this im outta here'' and go for a drive with the windows down and cruise some ole back road and smell the earth..

~~I went to heaven,but couldnt get in for what i had done.I said ''please take me'',they said your crazy,you had to much fun~~

If you've already got shoulder pain, I would reconsider. How about buying a used car first to try it out since they're so expensive? The car I bought last year has definiately contributed to pain in my shoulder/wrist and I'm thinking I'll finally have to graduate to a van next time .. ugh I'm with you on vans .. I'd rather have an SUV if possible. But then, gas money either way ...

I totally agree w/ Shaun on this one.

Depends on who you are, what you do, and where you live. Personally, I have lost enough freedom. I can't imagine not having my van.

Brian
    http://bspill1.home.comcast.net/index1.html

How about a Pickup Truck? I have a Colorado extended cab ZQ8 and I love it. Just the right height, easy transfers, and the chair stows easily in the extended cab. My handcycle fits nicely in the bed too. The only problem with this truck is it is bad in the snow as it is only 2wd. the 4wd are kinda high and hard on the shoulders if you can even make the jump up.