Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: ''High Quads''; Transfering,,,,

''High Quads''; Transfering,,,,

Hi All,,,,

Question for high quads [C-3,4,5] with minimal to no arm function/strength, or to lil lower levels that it may apply.

How do you transfer/get transfered from, 1--bed to manual/power chair? 2--bed to shower chair?
    ,,,hoyer[''type/style'']lift,,,
    ,,,assistance with a sliding board,,,
    ,,,2 person manual lift,,,
    ,,,ceiling/track lift,,,
    ,,,other,,,

Please state your level, and your method.
    Thanks,,,Free

c5/c6...dads been picking me up and putting me in wheelchair/shower chair for the last 5 years...

Im working out everyday and practicing my own transfers but just cant do it as of yet...

''How about I get naked and start a revolution??''

check the c4/5/6 transfer threads down below from myself and shaun

"Man is bound to follow the adventurous promptings of his scientific and inventive mind and to admire himself for his splendid achievements" Carl Jung

I get manually transferred with the help of a slide board. I do what I can to help. A couple of people that help me are not comfortable with manually transferring. I use the hoyer lift with them. That thing just takes longer and takes up too much space in my room.

Brian
    http://bspill1.home.comcast.net/index1.html

"Boredom's not a burden Anyone should bear. Constant over stimulation numbs me and I wouldn't have It any other way."
    Maynard

I did see both Sean's and Fuentes' transfer videos. Great for both of you. How I wish I could do what you guys can do,,,, and how I tryed for some time like a *Mbleep Fbleep*.

I should have been more specific in my question for those to answer:

Those with a C-3,4,5 level and who function at those levels; as myself:
    ,,,,who have "NO" digit funtion.
    ,,,,who have "NO" wrist flexion or extension.
    ,,,,who have a "trace/partial" biceps.
    ,,,,who have a "trace" of, anterior deltoids, and/or medial deltoids.
    ,,,,who have "NO" posterior deltoids.
    ,,,,who have "NO" trunk stability/function[in my ''error'' post this was specified.].

There those of you "High Quads", that are here and "do use some form of help"[who can not/do not tranfer independently.].

I would sincerely appreciate your reply .

Thanks,,,Freej

Chad fits all of your criteria. We do stand and pivot transfers for him. He weights about 160 pounds and I weigh about the same as a 5'4" woman and I can very easily stand-pivot transfer him from bed to shower chair, bed to power chair and vice-versa for both of these. When done properly, it takes virtually no muscle strength for the caregiver to transfer. But I have be VERY careful of spasms during trasnfers, that is the wildcard!

Ami, wife to Chad

FREEJ
    You have to be REALLY specific. Some of the "Mbleep Fbleep" don't get it. They think you should be able to transfer independently even if you're a full quad.

Forgot to add I get pivoted.

[This message was edited by Love on 03-29-05 at 12:29 AM.]

Nothing really to add...
    just wanted to

Free ~ you impress

those who revel in themselves - only attempt

All the "high(complete)quads" out there - YOU kick ass!

Originally posted by FREEJ:

I did see both Sean's and Fuentes' transfer videos. Great for both of you. How I wish I could do what you guys can do,,,, and how I tryed for some time like a *Mbleep Fbleep*.

I should have been more specific in my question for those to answer:

Those with a C-3,4,5 level and who function at those levels; as myself:
    ,,,,who have "NO" wrist flexion or extension.
    ,,,,who have a "trace/partial" biceps.
    ,,,,who have "NO" trunk stability/function[in my ''error'' post this was specified.].
    c4/c5 30 years this october
    ,,,,who have "trace" wrist flexion or extension in left / "zero" in rght.
    ,,,,who have a "partial" biceps.
    ,,,,who have "NO" trunk stability/function
    ....who have "NO" triceps

sit me up in bed, legs straight out, arms down on mattress balancing near knees, brother pivots my
    legs around with one arm, holds my shoulder up with other arm, legs are now off the bed, me balancing with arms by-my-side -kind-of forward, he gets behind me, lifts me under each arm and slides me to edge of the bed, i balance as he parks wheelchair minus foot-pedals facing my back. He leans me back, again lifting under my arms sliding me into my electric wheelchair. i'm 165 lbs, he's 280 lbs. same routine for 30 years - 10 years mom, 20 years brother.

Rusty

Brooks, Brian 'n Zilli,,, thanks for the explanation in your reply.

Love 'n Chick,,,exuse me for my *bleepness*, it wasn't meant to be offensive , just straight-up. But Chick,,, you didn't tell me how you transfer,,, and Love what level you are,,,
    Freej.