Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ''High Quads''; Transfering,,,,

Free, my brother is c5 with a bum (R) arm. For 4 years I used a hoyer lift. Since we have moved this isn't feasible yet. So, first I position the powerchair next to the bed facing the foot of the bed, I swing his legs over the side of the bed and scoot him forward to the edge of the bed and he tries to balance. I then gather his knees between mine, he holds onto my shoulders, and I pivot him around to the w/c with my arms at his waist. He is 5'9, 170 lbs. I am 5'5. I can use a sliding board but find it more time-consuming and cumbersome. The strap under the legs sounds good, will give that a try!

delayed reply - FREEJ

Quote Originally Posted by FREEJ
    Those with a C-3,4,5 level and who function at those levels; as myself:
    ,,,,who have "NO" digit funtion.
    ,,,,who have "NO" wrist flexion or extension.
    ,,,,who have a "trace/partial" biceps.
    ,,,,who have a "trace" of, anterior deltoids, and/or medial deltoids.
    ,,,,who have "NO" posterior deltoids.
    ,,,,who have "NO" trunk stability/function[in my ''error'' post this was specified.].

But Chick,,, you didn't tell me how you transfer,,, and Love what level you are,,,
    Sorry for not responding to this sooner, but just seeing this now. I am Complete c5/6 - the level I function at. My Diagnosis at time of injury was/is c1-4 fracture/complete lesion. I did not recover anything, only gained strength and improved function, or rather- how I function at this level, over time. I don't see my level as 'high' quad. Not a 'low' one either. Just somewhere in between .

I have:
    - biceps
    - wrist extention - only on half of/inner side of wrist
    - no wrist flexion
    - no digit function
    - no triceps
    - no trunk function (but able to maintain relatively 'ok' balance)

I transfer with a sliding board. Mostly chair to bed transfer (live alone and only have aide in a.m.). I had posted a clip of this before, but it was made by stringing together freeze frame shots. It looks sorta like a video clip and I can send you if you want but I can also try filming another (video/sound) one. May take a little time tho.

I have managed chair to chair transfer, and chair to shower bench transfer in past, but due to transfers not being very stable (partly chairs design and not being secure during my efforts) and not having 'spotter' to practice with, and ending up on floor one too many times, I don't do these now. Easier - in time, efficiency etc, to just have my caregiver transfer to shower/commode and throwing me into chair after helping me dress. Dont have time in the mornings or the luxury of others' time/patience to work on some of these things.
    Last edited by chick; 08-09-2005 at 01:04 AM. Reason: oopsey - got my flexion/extention backwards

Quote Originally Posted by chick
    Free ~ you impress

those who revel in themselves - only attempt

All the "high(complete)quads" out there - YOU kick ass!
    FREEJ is one of the kick-assest there is.
    Last edited by Scorpion; 08-08-2005 at 05:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion
    FREEJ is one of the kick-assest there is.
    Yea... anyone who use's ",,,,,,," like he does, has got to be cool

Chick your function description seems very similar to mine. Yes, you do use assistance ''now'' in transferring for time/efficiency and most of all safety. However,,, you do/can transfer from your chair onto bed without help with a sliding board?? Yes, I would like to see how you do this[for I can't quite get it]; possibly you're a lil body, I'm almost 6'3==''body dynamics'' factor? Ok,,,, it'll take you some time,,,,,,but I hope not 5 mos/ur reply,,,,,em if you want.

Since my post in March I have developed a technique to transfer with a sliding board, but I do need assistance----it is minimal effort/strain on the helper--my petitely built 18 yr old, 5'2 niece can help me. Either way it is another step/level of independence, it makes a big difference in my life. It took some time to get it, but it's now a 2 minute/tops process. I can do this from bed to chair and chair to bed[but definitely need help; so Chick a video would be good] , but cannot do it from bed onto shower/commode chair.

''I must give credit to my friend for the instruction/inspiration/encouragement; my ''Desert Rose'', thank you.''

Thank you all others,,,,,Freej. )
    Last edited by FREEJ; 08-09-2005 at 01:17 AM.

Hi Chick 'n Scorp,,,,,

2 cool ppl; Scorp I've met, good guy,,,,,the *kindred* thrives, and Chick,,,, well,,,, ya do wanna see, experience the Jersey shore, it'll help to have a guide, someone who knows the ropes. ''Da shore rox in the Hot Jersey summer'', check out this place/''webcam/''tiki bar; ''http://www.tikibar.com/index.html''

It was a pleasure to see this thread come up, a lil burst of sunshine,,,,,,lately I've been in a F'n battle with the SCI ''Beast'' with a few matters; things been a bxxch, but 'ya gotta be cowboy.

Ahhh Scorp,,,,,, 'see you're stock around here has been rising since that ''late night'' chat session a few weeks ago>>power to it.
    Hey Scorp, rrrealy, thanks for,,,,,,,,, '' FREEJ is one of the Kick-Assest there is. ''

Chick,,,, geeezzz,,,, I started the thread on 3/28, you posted 3/29, and now answered on 8/7. Thank you for posting your reply was informative/detailed as usual. 'N yeahh,,,, apology accepted cuz u rock,,,,,,,,even though it was ''delayed.'' ) .

I'm an incomplete c4 and I use the Surehands ceiling lift. Works great...no problems at all.

Brad, can you use that independently?

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion
    Brad, can you use that independently?
    I just need some minimal help.

Quote Originally Posted by FREEJ
    Chick your function description seems very similar to mine. Yes, you do use assistance ''now'' in transferring for time/efficiency and most of all safety. However,,, you do/can transfer from your chair onto bed without help with a sliding board?? Yes, I would like to see how you do this[for I can't quite get it]; possibly you're a lil body, I'm almost 6'3==''body dynamics'' factor? Ok,,,, it'll take you some time,,,,,,but I hope not 5 mos/ur reply,,,,,em if you want.

Since my post in March I have developed a technique to transfer with a sliding board, but I do need assistance----it is minimal effort/strain on the helper--my petitely built 18 yr old, 5'2 niece can help me. Either way it is another step/level of independence, it makes a big difference in my life. It took some time to get it, but it's now a 2 minute/tops process. I can do this from bed to chair and chair to bed[but definitely need help; so Chick a video would be good] , but cannot do it from bed onto shower/commode chair.

''I must give credit to my friend for the instruction/inspiration/encouragement; my ''Desert Rose'', thank you.''

Thank you all others,,,,,Freej. )
    i found that every transfer except car are easier w/ out the board. your about my hieght, im 6'2.
    try this. angle your chair beside your bed, put feet on foor, lock brakes. put your hand behind your back , hook onto the low backrest bar(if using a manual) lean over and push until you clear your wheel, sit up and flop back on the bed on your elbows, then drag yourself back, sit up, and put your feet on your chair seat, flop back on elbows drag yourself the rest of way in.,
    hopefully this makes sense

takes a little practice but gets easy
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer