Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Getting up after a fall

is, you are correct on HOW TO FALL. I taught myself that. The getting up, from my perspective is extremely different for different situations it occurs in. 1 - how loose or tight you are at that time. 2 - the type of surface you have fallen onto. Something that will provide you traction or very slippery. 3 - what kind of clothes do you have on. This actually is combined with #2. 4 - what is on your feet? This is also combined with #2. 5 - time of day for your body. Do you have strength at beginning of day or wore out at end of day. 6 - what is around you that you may be able to use for assistance. I am sure there are other things, but these are things seem most important to how I get up.
    Last edited by rlmtrhmiles; 04-14-2013 at 07:48 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    Kind of hard to learn how to fall with a spinal cord injury. Especially the higher the injury. Everyone is different, for sure. Especially...uh...SCI vs not. With our osteo issues and lack of motor control over our bodies, learning to fall isn't my idea of a good idea, or realistic. Also, consider, we dont have a sheath of toned muscles protecting us, and hitting the ground can cause serious harm, even practicing, even on a mat. Best I've been able to do, because I have arms, is grab my legs so they don't flop and dislocated out of my hip joints, or knee me in the face. Many, many folks with SCI will hear "learn how to fall" like "learn how to walk". Nice in theory. Possible for few.

I try to roll over onto my belly, drag myself across the floor, pull myself up the front of my chair until my face is essentially in the butt of the seat, then I put my hands onto the seat pan and try my best to lift myself up with just my arms, while also trying to rotate my trunk around so to end up with the corner of my butt up onto the seat pan, then I lift pushing on the tires to get myself situated.
    I absolutely agree with you. It is not possible for everyone, and the higher the injury, the less you can do. But even learning your trick of grabbing your legs is far better than not knowing what to do at all.

I was very fortunate to have a good PT when I was relearning how to walk. Now that my walking ability is deteriorating rapidly (I can stand, I can take 100 steps at a time with assistance, and I can do that about five times a day- I know I am lucky to do that, but my ability to do even that much is going away fast) it is more important for me to try to avoid injuring myself more than I have to.

We all need to learn what we, with our individual capabilities, can do. A good PT can often teach us a trick or two that we don't know yet.
    Played with bombs- No SCI, Brain Damage enough that I require a chair and a caregiver.

I can walk a bit with arm canes and two rigid AFOs. The AFOs make it very ease to fall when walking on uneven ground. Fortunately my arms are very long and my legs are kind of short, so if I fall I just put my hands on the ground and then lower myself to the ground. To get up I put the arm canes in just the right spot and using mostly my arms and walking my legs forward manage to get myself back into the U shape. Then hand over hand pull myself up on one of the canes. The hardest part is to balance on one cane and get the other one on my arm, but I can just do it. The other option is to crawl to my chair and grab the arm rests and pull myself up and around. Getting into my chair this way used to be very hard, but then I took up hand cycling and Wow now its a piece of cake, but I really look like an ape now. Bottom line, try to keep your arms and shoulders as strong as possible by what ever way you can, makes life easer for sure.
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

Yeah, this is one of those threads where walkers can't relate. I do something similar to you if I am in a place like the street where nothing else is available, but it is strenuous and impossible to keep my pants on (which is why I wear bike shorts most of the time). If I am at home, I will typically drag myself to a sofa or my bed (which is on the floor) and is easier to get onto because it is lower and more stable than my chair, then transfer to my chair from that. The majority of times I have biffed it in the street people have helped me back into my chair.

As for falling "technique" all I really can try to do is keep my head from slamming into the ground (which is easier if I catch the front and superman out of the chair and next to impossible if I go over backwards). If I go over backwards and don't have a backpack on my chair I hit the back of my head on the ground no matter how hard I try and tuck my chin into my chest.

Falling sucks, I was in a hotel last week and sleeping on my stomach my phone alarm went off and I rolled over to turn it off and went right off the bed onto the floor. Fortunately the bed had been so high that I had the hotel remove the bed frame so the bed was on the floor. I was able to get back into the bed fairly easily but as the day wore on my pain increased and waking up the next morning was torture. I am just now starting to get back to a "normal" level of pain.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    Kind of hard to learn how to fall with a spinal cord injury. Especially the higher the injury. Everyone is different, for sure. Especially...uh...SCI vs not. With our osteo issues and lack of motor control over our bodies, learning to fall isn't my idea of a good idea, or realistic. Also, consider, we dont have a sheath of toned muscles protecting us, and hitting the ground can cause serious harm, even practicing, even on a mat. Best I've been able to do, because I have arms, is grab my legs so they don't flop and dislocated out of my hip joints, or knee me in the face. Many, many folks with SCI will hear "learn how to fall" like "learn how to walk". Nice in theory. Possible for few.

I try to roll over onto my belly, drag myself across the floor, pull myself up the front of my chair until my face is essentially in the butt of the seat, then I put my hands onto the seat pan and try my best to lift myself up with just my arms, while also trying to rotate my trunk around so to end up with the corner of my butt up onto the seat pan, then I lift pushing on the tires to get myself situated.

I get on my hands and knees, then lift my right knee up so I'm on two feet and one knee, put my hands on my right knee and push up while trying to straighten my knee, slightly leaning forward to put my weight over the knee, it's tricky and I've only lately been able to do it and only on a good day.
    "Would you rather reduce deficits and interest rates by raising revenue from those who are not now paying their fair share, or would you rather accept larger budget deficits, higher interest rates, and higher unemployment? And I think I know your answer." Ronald Reagan"

Fortunately I have not ended up on the floor to often and when I do can usually find a way back in. One time comes to mind and after falling and rearranging and dragging my chair around i was exhausted andI could not get back in but while it may not make a difference for some I was able to take the cushion off and between the extra height it gave me and the little lower to made the chair I was able to get in to my chair then into bed then back into my chair with a cushion.