Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: kitchens and bathrooms

Originally posted by Aly:

Does your lift have a manual crank? The lift my van breaks down occasionally but the manual crank does me no good because of where it is. Just wondering if this may have some of the same problems. My luck halfway up the power would go out. lol
    Yes, it has a manual crank. A very useless manual crank! The crank will get me all the way down or all the way up, but it will not raise the automatic arms. To raise those, you have to remove the panel -- which is near impossible to do with me on the lift. The lift has a battery backup, and my house has an emergency generator. So only a mechanical malfunction would leave me stranded. I carry a cell phone with me at all times, and I have a very loud scream.

I have a roll in shower to the left side of my bathroom and a roll under sink front and center. To the right is a half closet and shelving above for supplies. Our house was built on a slab so in retrofitting a jackhammer was required to create a slight dip in the shower area. That area is tiled all the way up and a curtain goes all the way across (get the extra long length). Between that, the toilet between the shower curtain and sink area, a new fan, heat lamp and...a waterproof urethane finishing coat on the wood cabinet (that you cannot tell is waterproof) to the right underside of the sink there is no mildew or rot.

We did have a corner bench tiled also in the shower but that wll be coming out soon. It did not take to standing water. So after 12 years I guess there is some cracked and ugly grouting in that one area.

We, unfortunantly, built a kitchen based on my level when I left rehab the first time. I was pretty much a C5 so surprise, surprise 2 years later as all sorts of muscles showed up. I have always been able to use the under cabinets. They are Kraftmaids and have inside hinges and shelving that can be rolled out with about 2 fingers worth of effort. My prep area became a tad too high when my next powerchair went the way of most and shrank height-wise. Happily, I am married to a pretty good cook!

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

thx for pic clipper, that looks much safer than what i was picturing in the other photo.

Sue, how much were your counters lowered? i know most quads dont cook, but id really like to be able to for health reasons. i recently changed my diet to 90% natural/organic and i feel so much better.

heat lamps--does anyone have a link for this? does this work well? also, i thought about built in shower bench for the days i dont have to do my BP...for those who have this, do you like it? my current bathroom is accessible, but i want to set the next one up to where i can get in and out on my own. then id be the only one to see my naked butt. any after shower transfer tips would be great. its hard to move wet butt after im done taking a shower.

Originally posted by bridget:

Sue, how much were your counters lowered? i know most quads dont cook, but id really like to be able to for health reasons. i recently changed my diet to 90% natural/organic and i feel so much better.

Hmm, probably did't explain that well. The counters are now too high for me to use. I had a Ranger X and C5, for the most part, function. No one, including me, planned on my doing much cooking but I did have an area brought around as part of a breakfast bar that I could roll under. I sed that to do some prep work and had asked about lowering it later if needed. The guys who installed the Fountainhead (much like Corian at half the price and no longer in buisness) said to just give them a call and with a short addition for a downward cover on the cabinet underneath the breakfast bar they could lower the area to desk height. This stuff could be heated to remove all seams just like all the newer resin/stone combinations.

I am now a C5/7 with a lot of return function and the kitchen of my AB/gourmet cook dreams. If we move I'll reqork this but it cost a fortune to rebuild the first time. I think replacing the current washing machine and dryer would make the spousal unit happier. The front loaders are now so much easier for we wheelers to use and the laundry room has had the gas line and electrical lines moved.

heat lamps--does anyone have a link for this?

No, but almost anything your electrician says your current house wiring can handle can be found at Lowe's or Home Depot.

/ does this work well?

I like mine! Keeps me warm while drying off, brushing hair, blow drying hair, etc. Also helps reduce too much humidity in the room.

also, i thought about built in shower bench for the days i dont have to do my BP...for those who have this, do you like it?

I thought once I had the sideways stability I would love it. Unfotunantly when my current demyelinated areas hit anything cold they spaze. So if you are anything like me you will slide onto the floor. Do have a shelf with a short lip added during tiling where you can have your shampoo, soap, conditioner, etc. These can be had out of the same coplor most bathroom tiles are and in ceramic too.

but i want to set the next one up to where i can get in and out on my own. then id be the only one to see my naked butt.

LOL< I just ordered a combo commode/shower chair with large back wheels just so I can handle all this alone once I transfer. I can pivot stand while on nice dry carpet and this should give my spousal unit's back a few more years over the shower bench replacement idea.
    Don't count on it but I'll see if I can find the photos I have of the room during construction. I have one with my dog getting a shower in there. But retreivers always look like they are being tortured if you approach them with soap. Muddy water, cool. Soap, run!

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

thx sue for the thorough response, its appreciated