Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Dr. Young is it true only 12 students in wheelchairs attend Rutgers?

Originally posted by Joey:

Originally posted by cass:
    well, yes you can set a quota on it, been done for blacks, women, etc.

but the real concern is, why, outta 16,000 students, there would only be 1 w/c user. that makes no sense.
    do you propose the school try to recruit disabled people or something? I don't think this is a comparable statistic to that of ethnic minorities and gender quotas. Our demographic is too broad I think. Also, the thing preventing disabled enrollment is usually based on the individual rather than the institution. i'm interested to know where the opinions lie here. we have 2 people here out of about 4,000 but also before the 2 of us I would venture to say they have probably only had a few among the thousands of students coming through.
    I wasn't proposing anything, merely stating a fact. They could put a quota on it if they wanted to (some employers do).

my point was really in my second statement.

Originally posted by BigB:

Suzanne, as far as the chair goes the best suggestion I have is that your son could possibly look at his friends chairs, try them out and ask them what they like and dislike about them. I hope one day he gets to play my son's team
    I know it will take years before Richard can play in your son's team but he will never give up! Thanks for the advice though!!

Suzanne

If Richard takes after his mom I'm sure he's a quick learner

BTW, my sons team has just for the first time this year started playing other college teams, They were even beaten by a girls team

out of over forty thousand students only 12 are in wheelchairs? Seems like a big deficiency that needs to be addressed, even more so than adaptive sports.
    ===========

it gets worse bigb, if wise finds a cure there maybe no wchairs at rutgers

=

If Richard takes after his mom I'm sure he's a quick learner

BTW, my sons team has just for the first time this year started playing other college teams, They were even beaten by a girls team
    Richard used to be a serious soccer and basketball player before injury!!!

Beaten by a girls' team!!!

Suzanne

I am a C4/5 and take classes at Rutgers. The campus is accessible. I am just not interested in sports at RU.

-Scott

I graduated from Rutgers in 2002 and, like the good Doctor, I really don't think they know how many students they have in wheelchairs. The only reason they would have been aware of my situation is because I had to reapply with an essay explaining why I had missed so much time (the accident happened the summer after my third year). They did point me in the direction of a department that would help with any particular issues I might have (I don't recall the name of the department), but since I didn't have any major issues that was that. As far as general accessibility goes, Rutgers could be worse. Not all of the buildings have Automatic doors, which might be a problem for some wheelchair users, but most of the buildings have elevators and I found people to be pretty accomodating.

Of course, there was the one time I got stuck upstairs in Beck Hall after the elevator broke while I was in class. The Rutgers maintenance crew had to carry my ass down the steps to get out. THAT SUCKED!!!!!!!

Gozer the Traveler! He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the Rectification of the Vuldronaii, the Traveler came as a large and moving Torb! Then, during the Third Reconciliation of the Last of the Meketrex Supplicants, they chose a new form for him, that of a giant Sloar! Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of a Sloar that day, I can tell you!

the37
    posted 03-02-05 07:52 PM
    I graduated from Rutgers in 2002 and, like the good Doctor, I really don't think they know how many students they have in wheelchairs.
    I have called the people I met with last week at Rutgers to thank them for the time they gave me. I also asked if the figure he gave me of 12 students in wheelchairs was accurate. He said he was sorry to say that it was, and he had received that statistic from a Dean.

Hmmm....I wonder how they keep tabs on that number.

Gozer the Traveler! He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the Rectification of the Vuldronaii, the Traveler came as a large and moving Torb! Then, during the Third Reconciliation of the Last of the Meketrex Supplicants, they chose a new form for him, that of a giant Sloar! Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of a Sloar that day, I can tell you!

I don't see how they can know for sure. If I didn't require a note-taker/scribe from time to time, I probably would not have talked to the disabilities office yet.

If some one doesn't tell the disabilities office they are in a wc, how would the school add them to their total.

Maybe, it was just 12 students that required assistance and also used a wc?