Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sure Glad I have Portable Hand Controls for Rental Cars

Sure Glad I have Portable Hand Controls for Rental Cars

Seems like it gets worse and worse requesting Hand control cars in Rentals, you have to deal with a special department, cant book it over the net in most cases, then the special department gives you the run around and never gets back to you. With the quick install portables, I just book the car over the net and bring my own controls, takes five minutes to put them in and I am off. If they ask at the rental desk, I just tell them I can use my legs just fine. A lot less hassles this way.

Seems like 5 or 10 years ago, I did not have these hassles, renting a car with hand controls was not problem. It kinda seems like ADA is going down the toilet or something?

The type of Controls I use are called PHC, cost 300 bucks and worth every penny.

Heh heh. Curt, you should ask Matt to tell you sometime about his lil experience with a rental and handcontrols.

Let's just say the thing stopped working as Matt was trying to merge onto the highway. I'm still not quite sure how we survived that lil experience.

"We are only as helpless as we perceive ourselves to be"
    http://adrenalinechick.friendpages.com

I've considered doing that. I never followed through for fear that I would get hassled and/or there would be no equipped car available if things didn't work out.
    I should try it on my upcoming trip to LA/San Diego.

I have them as well...and they come in handy when you get the response "we do not put hand controls on that type of car". Then I just bring them, screw them onto the pedals...and away I go.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliecoach View Post
    I have them as well...and they come in handy when you get the response "we do not put hand controls on that type of car". Then I just bring them, screw them onto the pedals...and away I go.

I've never had a agent tell me in those words, but it's apparent in all of my experience with rental car companies (and I've probably rented about a dozen times) that they reserve the most boring and unsexy cars for hand control placement.
    I always inquire about the hot cars in the fleet, especially when I travel to Miami but end up with a Taurus or Monte Carlo or something along those lines . I'm grateful that the majority of rental car companies have accommodations for those who need it, but at the same time miffed at the discrimination against us by excluding the "nice" cars from our options. I think I should obtain my own portables and just forego the whole request process.

Does anyone know where to get these things in canada? I cant find any on the net, less i suck at searching... company in the US wouldnt ship to canada...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

T12/L2 Complete - Nov. 12, 2007

I think the Next Car I Rent will be a YUGO
    Actually I am gonna be looking for very portable ones to kinda keep out of sight when I rent Cars because I dont like lots of questions and my only other source of Travel is Booking flight on UFO but lately my UFO sales lady for my bookings has been out of the universe so shes a little hard to reach
    Sincerely
    Gypsylady

Heres the website to buy them from http://www.wheelability.com/
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

I am finally planning to rent a car with hand controls to drive up to the Berkshires in Massachusetts with my boyfriend, who does not need them. Although I have use of both legs, I have a drop-foot on my right side and don't feel safe driving in traffic or on the highway.

I have a couple of questions:

1. How hard is it to learn how to use the hand controls? Can I drive out of the car lot using them? Do I need any special certification from a driving school in order to rent a car with hand controls?

2. Do the hand controls get in the way of a non-disabled driver of the same car? (Do they have to be disconnected in order for him/her to have normal control over the foot pedals?)

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I am finally planning to rent a car with hand controls to drive up to the Berkshires in Massachusetts with my boyfriend, who does not need them. Although I have use of both legs, I have a drop-foot on my right side and don't feel safe driving in traffic or on the highway.

I have a couple of questions:

1. How hard is it to learn how to use the hand controls? Can I drive out of the car lot using them? Do I need any special certification from a driving school in order to rent a car with hand controls?

2. Do the hand controls get in the way of a non-disabled driver of the same car? (Do they have to be disconnected in order for him/her to have normal control over the foot pedals?)

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.