Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: car shopping

car shopping

Hi everyone! I'm bran spankin new here and just found this place. I've only been injured a year and a half and didn't have people to bounce ideas off of. This place seems pretty populated and active, glad I found it. I am about to get my drivers license and can't wait to get off of the mass transit. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for selecting a vehicle. I learned from my driving instructor that I should get something with power everything (seats, mirrors, and windows). I saw a convertible driving with a wheelchair in the back and thought that might ease the process of bringing the wheelchair into the car after I get in. I've lurked around for a few days now and noticed there are a few drivers around. I'd appreciate any advise offered. Thanks

There's been a lot of "talk" about this very subject lately. Take a look in the "equipment" section. What level are you? That will make a difference.

oh yeah, I'm a T-10 complete and still have full function in upper extremeties.

Hey wheelie,

You can get just about anything you want.. I have a 98 s-10 blazer (4 door), a 03 grand prix (4 door), a 78 4x4 jeep with 35" tires and a 5" lift kit. Im a t-10 para myself.. I guess the way I look at it, is that if I can get in it and pull my Quickie Ti across my body and put it in the front seat or back seat then I can drive it.. But thats me... Just don't think that your that limeted in car shopping..

Hi wheelie and welcome. When it comes to driving think ahead. If you have a significant other, try to make like easy on them. SUV works for me. When i'm alone no prob. If my wife, friends or family the space for the chair in the back is a must and is easy for them to place without dismantling. Plenty of room for luggage also. A must have for road trips. Get something that you really enjoy. Makes all the difference in the world.

Thanks for the info, I don't want to make a bad choice and be stuck with some inconvenience that could have been avoided. I am new here as I said and realize now that this topic belonged in the equipment forum. I did find some good information on a post in there. I have transferred in a few cars so far and so far my toughest achievement was a lifted Ford Ranger with stepsides, which prevented me from getting too close. I was able to get in having to lift my self as high as my arms would allow and laying as much of myself on the seat as possible to avoid falling out. I can get into this truck by myself but once in my sisters fiance has to put it in the back. I guess it would be possible to get it in myself with a rope and a lot of work but I'm not going to spend half an hour transferring into my car each time I go out. I'll get something a little more manageable. LOL

dodge magnum wagon

Dodge Magnum Wagon. I have one.

I went with a van, which was a tough thing to do for an old HD rider. But I am a little older than most newbies, 48 T10 inc 18 months, so I chose convenience over form.

They aren't a cureall, still gotta do xfers and there is little "extra" room with the chair in the way. But the other day I came out of the docs ofc just as it started pouring. I hit the keyfob, got there just as the ramp flattened and was inside with ramp closing behind me in seconds. Erased my doubts as to whether "I" made the right choice.

Just offering the "other side" opinion.

McD

"Rather be ridin' than rollin'"

that's true McDuff, rain sucks especailly when you have to roll to and from a bus stop and sit in the rain waiting for a bus that might or might not be on time and get you where you need to go in reasonable time. I am so frustrated with public transportation I can't wait to get a vehicle again. I used to be into motorcycles too. I liked em a little too much. Rode the Japanese rice burners and payed the price. Those suck in the rain too, lol.