Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Went to the grocery store by myself today...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Went to the grocery store by myself today...

Despite having bowel troubles this week (see my post in care), I dicided to chance it and head to the grocery store tonight. I was planning to do it Thursday, then Friday, but I couldn't put it off much longer because we were down to only ramen noodles and rice.

I got there about 9pm. I like to go late because they start re-stocking shelves about 10, so there's always someone nearby to get stuff off the top shelf for me.

I didn't have any problems shopping, I've done it several times before. I had to stop and cath, and someone was in the bathroom so I had to wait. After I cathed, when I was emptying the bag into the toilet, I lost my grip and dumped half of it on the floor. I feel bad about it since the next person to come in has to step in it, and someone has to clean it up.

Anyway my mom showed up as I was checking out. She gets off work at midnight, drove home and saw I wasn't there, so she knew I was still at the store. Yes I had been at the store for 4 hours. They have re-arranged some things since the last time I went.

I got everything put in the back of the car real easy. Loaded myself and the chair in the car, and started driving off. I noticed a light on the panel that I had not seen before. It was the light telling me one of my doors wasn't closed. I stoped and checked my door, and the light was still on. The only other door I opened was the rear hatch, so I must not have shut it good enough.

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

Today groceries tomorrow road trips!!

*Join a Movement*

Originally posted by Liz321:

Today groceries tomorrow road trips!!

*Join a Movement*
    And then hiking & sports

Very cool!

http://stores.ebay.com/MAKSYM-Variety-Store

It will become just like second nature to ya in no time man.You'll just be hoppin in the car and takin off where ever you want whenever you want and wont ya even think about anymore

~~I knew a lady who came from Duluth,bit by a dog with a rabid tooth,she went to her grave just a little to soon and flew away howlin on the yellow moon~~

Soon you will be climbing mountains with Mark Wellman.

jimnms

Four hours in the grocery store - I hope they had some good free samples and cute women around! I agree with the others - it will become second nature after a while.

When I have a lot to buy I use a shopping cart as the "mother ship" and a basket as my "transporter". I strategically position the mother ship in the store and when I fill up the "transporter" I put the contents into the mother ship and start all over. I use to just push the cart around the store but found this to be quicker. I've done the "forgot to close the hatch all the way" before myself. Last time I was in Whole Foods one of the employees there approached me and said they have this new type of shopping cart that kind of attaches to the front of your wheelchair. I typically just fill up my transporter basket (amazing how much you can get in there) but I'll have to see what these new carts look like next time I'm there.

Steve

Originally posted by Steve G:

jimnms

Four hours in the grocery store - I hope they had some good free samples and cute women around! I agree with the others - it will become second nature after a while.

When I have a lot to buy I use a shopping cart as the "mother ship" and a basket as my "transporter". I strategically position the mother ship in the store and when I fill up the "transporter" I put the contents into the mother ship and start all over. I use to just push the cart around the store but found this to be quicker. I've done the "forgot to close the hatch all the way" before myself. Last time I was in Whole Foods one of the employees there approached me and said they have this new type of shopping cart that kind of attaches to the front of your wheelchair. I typically just fill up my transporter basket (amazing how much you can get in there) but I'll have to see what these new carts look like next time I'm there.

Steve
    I asked my mom to make a short list of things we needed, that "short" list is part of the reason I spent 4 hours there. We used to go together, she'd ride in the motorized cart while I pushed a buggy. It was kind of a hassle, so we'd put it off as long as we could.

It's been two months since we bought groceries, so I had alot of things to get. Now that I have a car and I can go alone, I'll be going more often and spending much less time.

Actually, the first hour I spent in the electronics section, so the grocery shopping only took me three hours.

I used to park the cart in one spot and go get a few things and come back. I must have left it alone too long one time and some employee thought it was abandoned and took it away. I found it by the checkout lines and they had already put half of my stuff back.

I now park my shopping cart at the end of the isles and go down the isle and bring things back to the cart.

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

Right on Jimnms .....

Obieone
    P.S. An hour in Electronics hmmm?????? ... yesssss......

Hi. I'm new but have discovered the convenience of grocery delivery. The store I go through, Vons (a California store) has an awesome website and it is easier than shopping in person, even before the accident. Check out websites of the grocery stores near you and see what they offer. My store has promotional offers all the time and I have yet to pay the delivery charge.

well. if i were in a grocery store 4 hrs, i'd go nuts. i'm a c7 quad and i think you're a para. so your shopping experiences should shortly get much faster!

i have a kid which is good unless you want to hear whining. i'd rather go alone while he's at Tae Kwon Do.

i don't like being followed around by a clerk, so i grab a cart and handheld basket. the cart stays at the end of the aisle, handheld on my lap. i get what i can, ask for help if need be, then put it in cart. if nobody is around to grab somethin off top shelf (or i don't feel like askin), i keep it in my mind. at end of my shopping, i go up to clerk and say i can't reach a few things. by then, i have them in my mind, know where they are, and i'm done.

the handheld basket is really a great catching tool. i knock things down all the time into it.