Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Million Dollar Cry Baby

KLD, thanks for the critique. Makes me reluctant to see the movie. I find it so distracting to watch movies that involve spinal cord injury when they have the details wrong.

Wise.

Originally posted by Wise Young:

KLD, thanks for the critique.
    I think that was more of a rant than a critique, but - whatever.

I'm always disappointed when I spot inaccuracies in a movie. And, it seems that the more closely I'm associated with a particular subject, the more obvious and blatant the discrepancies appear to be. So, yes, I was a little dismayed by that aspect of movie.

Contrary to a lot of the critical focus though, MDB isn't meant to be a detailed documentary about the acute care regimen of a spinal cord injury any more than it is meant to be a social statement on euthanasia.

MDB is a story about the relationship that develops between two characters (played by Eastwood and Swank) and the serious dilemma that they are ultimately faced with. It's just one particular story with it's own unique set of circumstances.

Since seeing MDB on the day it opened here in Houston, I've had numerous opportunities to discuss various aspects of the movie. The first such opportunity came right outside the theatre where I had the attention of some very interested moviegoers. Not surprising, I was able to clarify some details and I think they went away with a better understanding of SCI.

I liked the movie overall and I'm still recommending it.

Hey I just thought of something. We have two movies nominated for Acadmey Awards that both deal with disability issues. In MYB Hollywood wants us to beleive a quadriplegic is better of dead. In RAY, we celebrate the way Ray Charles overcame blindness to go on to become a musical legend and a national treasure. Let's hope people who see these movies see the irony. Ray Charles beat every imaginable odd. An African American child goes blind by age 7. He comes from a poor family, grows up in an America that has not yet outgrown segregation and yet he creates a life and music that inspires generations. Hmmm. I for one am greatful that a young Ray Charles didn't have an over the hill music teacher who wanted to put a pillow over his face and end his suffering

Originally posted by Moose Jaw:

Hey I just thought of something. We have two movies nominated for Acadmey Awards that both deal with disability issues. In MYB Hollywood wants us to beleive a quadriplegic is better of dead. In RAY, we celebrate the way Ray Charles overcame blindness to go on to become a musical legend and a national treasure. Let's hope people who see these movies see the irony. Ray Charles beat every imaginable odd. An African American child goes blind by age 7. He comes from a poor family, grows up in an America that has not yet outgrown segregation and yet he creates a life and music that inspires generations. Hmmm. I for one am greatful that a young Ray Charles didn't have an over the hill music teacher who wanted to put a pillow over his face and end his suffering
    You are so right! Great post!

Now, imagine Ray as a vent-dependent, C-2 quad.

Actually, we have three disability movies nominated for Oscars this year--THE SEA INSIDE (still another quad-euthanasia movie) was nominated for Best Foreign Film.

Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards.-- Søren Kierkegaard

From IMDB/YahooNews, January 26, 2005:
    Commentators Issue Intentional Spoilers About 'Baby'

[NOTE - SPOILER ALERT: Ordinarily we do not offer "spoiler" warnings when discussing the content of movies unless they also appear in the news reports that we compress for this digest. The following item, however, covers the controversy over the actions by some commentators and columnists to undermine Clint Eastwood's Million Dollar Baby by disclosing a key plot element. Readers who have not seen the movie and who do not want to be informed about the issue it raises until they have seen it may wish to skip this item.]

Rush Limbaugh has become the latest commentator to blast Clint Eastwood's Million Dollar Baby, calling it a "million dollar euthanasia movie." On Tuesday, he facetiously apologized for letting "the cat out of the bag when I mentioned to you that the real subject of the movie is, when this heroine becomes paralyzed, she wants to die and they say, 'Okay, you'd be better off dead,' and they pretty much zap her. I apparently spoke out of school, as a movie critic and reviewer, uh, ladies and gentlemen. I just feel terrible about this." Critic Michael Medved told USA Today that he had revealed the plot twist because "there are competing moral demands that come into the job of a movie critic. We have a moral and fairness obligation to not spoil movies. On the other hand, our primary moral obligation is to tell the truth." Medved, who says he "hated this movie," also remarked that "They didn't want to tell people what it is [about] because no one would come." On Tuesday, an orgaization of paraplegics also joined the critics of the movie.
    Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards.-- Søren Kierkegaard

Am I missing something, this is just a movie right? Are people really that concerned, USA must be a strange place to live. Personally couldn't give a stuff for the thoughts of an aging entertainer, I think it's a bit unfortunate that you guys pay so much attention to people whoose whole life was/is devoted to dress-ups and fairytales. Emperors new clothes - Clint can't act for shit anyway, the chimp (as usual) did a better job!

Besides Million Dollar Baby and The Sea Inside, there was one other film this year that featured a character with an SCI. It was called "Saved". A bit like "Heathers" set in a Christian school, it is a biting but funny and thoughtful satire. One of the characters is a para (played by Maculay Culkin). I thought he did a very respectable job, and the script deals with him in a very positive way. There is one scene where he gets back into his chair from the ground way to easily, but it is an otherwise good (and uplifting) portrayal. See Saved instead of Million Dollar Baby. Regardless of how "good" that film may be, Clint Eastwood does not deserve our money.

On the other hand, The Sea Inside is actually supposed to be anti-assisted suicide, even though the main character does die in the end (because that is how it happened in real life). Apparently the director tries, within the constraints of the true story, to show that the wrong decision was reached.

Just my 2 cents.

Matt (T6 incomplete 8/27/04)

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse:

Well, who here has actually seen this film? I saw it tonight with a friend of mine who has a C4 injury. We both laughed at how phoney the SCI scenes were.

All the SCI scenes were SOOOOO fake! You would think that Clint Eastwood would have gotten some decent technical advisors. No halo (you must be kidding with a Philly collar for a C1-2 fracture!). She never is intubated, is trached from day one, and talking in full sentences from day one even though she is vent dependent (and not even talking with the vent as you could clearly see CR doing in his many public appearances). She is never turned, suctioned, etc. She of course never has any bowel or bladder care. The pressure ulcers she got were all on fleshy (not bony or weight bearing areas) and looked like no pressure ulcer I have ever seen. She supposedly had her care paid for but never got any rehab, was in a warehouse/nursing home facility with no ECU, no decent power chair she could drive, or even a call light, and never got a day of therapy or counseling. Even her trach looked fake.

Regardless of what you think of the theme of the film or the ending, I am wondering if anyone else here found all this phoney stuff distracting in the last few scenes like we did.

(KLD)
    --------------------
    "On November 2 the voice of the people was heard. I promise not to imitate it out of respect for the mentally retarded" - Lewis Black (Comedian)

I could not resist it, I went to see it yesterday. I actually thought it was a pretty good movie and that it would not do anything for or against SCI one way or the other. The main problem I found with the movie was after she got SCI, I could not take the movie seriously as it seemed so fake due to all the reasons KLD gave. You would think they would have done a little more homework on the technical aspects of C1,C2 SCI.

I could not help but to think if at the end of the movie if they had put some kind of information on the screen Like "every 10 seconds somebody sustains a Spinal Cord Injury, please support the Christopher Reeve Project" or something to that effect how useful the movie really could have been. But no, all you see at the end was Clint Eastwoods name flash in front of you about 20 times, oh well.

Anyhow, hope Clint makes a lot of money with this movie, maybe he will donate the proceeds for SCI research you think?

[This message was edited by Curt Leatherbee on 01-29-05 at 01:38 PM.]