Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Eastwood Continues Disability Vendetta with 'Million Dollar Baby'

something more to consider.

http://bookcomplex.info/0375701214.html

word up, johnny depp is to star in this movie to be released in 2006. hope it's not too depressing for some to sit thru

bet clint isn't directing this art form. you know, i like clint, too.

[This message was edited by cass on 03-10-05 at 02:05 AM.]

Oscars for the Culture of Death

Oscars for the Culture of Death

A "Disability Vendetta" Surfaces in Hollywood

HOLLYWOOD, California, MARCH 19, 2005 (Zenit.org).- The recent Academy Awards saw the triumph of two films that promote a favorable view of euthanasia. "Million Dollar Baby," a story about a female boxer severely wounded in a bout, won four of the top Oscars, including that of best director for Clint Eastwood. Hilary Swank won for best actress for her portrayal of Maggie Fitzgerald, who ends up prostrated with a spinal injury. Her pleas to be helped in seeking release from suffering by death are fulfilled.

The Oscar for best foreign film went to "The Sea Inside," which depicts the real-life case of Spaniard Ramón Sampedro, who ended up a quadriplegic after a diving accident. His requests to put an end to his life met were turned down after legal battles, but he committed suicide by drinking a cyanide-laced mixture.

The awards won by the films have focused attention on the situation of severely injured or handicapped people, with many protesting that the cinematic versions so popular in Hollywood are both dangerous and demeaning.

The British Telegraph newspaper reported Jan. 23 that the National Spinal Cord Injury Association, one of America's most respected organizations for disabled people, accused Eastwood of a "disability vendetta." The association described the concluding scene of "Million Dollar Baby" as a "brilliantly executed attack on life after a spinal cord injury." Protesters in Chicago from the organization Not Dead Yet claimed that the film "promotes the killing of disabled people as the solution to the 'problem' of disability."

Matthew Eppinette, from the Center for Bioethics and Human Dignity, pointed out in a commentary published by the organization Feb. 28 that the film portrays humans as if they were mere animals to be put out of their suffering.

On the contrary, he stated, "Euthanasia, suicide and assisted suicide are wrong because they deliberately end a human life -- a life that bears the image of God." Moreover, even being a quadriplegic does not prevent us from deepening our relationship with God.

People in this situation certainly suffer greatly, Eppinette pointed out. But, as the example of Christopher Reeve amply demonstrated, "even the most severely paralyzed can live a rich and vibrant life, given proper care and support."

http://www.zenit.org/english/visualizza.phtml?sid=68036

http://stores.ebay.com/MAKSYM-Variety-Store

Million Dollar Babyâ–“ was Oscar-winning fiction; hereâ–“s the truth

Million Dollar Babyâ–“ was Oscar-winning fiction; hereâ–“s the truth
    By MICHAEL FUMENTO
    Guest Commentary

IF YOUâ–“RE still planning to see the Oscar-winning film âŒ*Million Dollar Babyâ–* and donâ–“t know the ending ≈ turn to the funny pages now! Iâ–“m giving it away.

Maggie, played by Hilary Swank, takes a massive blow in the boxing ring and is left a quadriplegic on a respirator. After she repeatedly pleads to her crusty (but loving) aging manager Clint Eastwood to be allowed to die he finally complies both by âŒ*pulling the plugâ–* and giving her a lethal dose of adrenaline.

Disability advocates claim the movie was a pro-euthanasia message. Certainly by law Swank could have simply asked her doctor to take her off life support. Instead, Eastwoodâ–“s character breaks the law in bypassing the doctor and changing the action from passive to active. That does sound like a message.

John Kelly of Boston calls the film âŒ*a lie.â–* Heâ–“s not a film critic, but he knows something about the subject. âŒ*When I was 21 I was sledding on a piece of cardboard down a hill and a tree jumped up in front,â–* he told me. Heâ–“s now paralyzed from the neck down. âŒ*Iâ–“m everybodyâ–“s worst nightmare,â–* he says chuckling.

Now 41, Kelly is one of the approximately 11,000 new spinal cord injuries in the United States each year. Of these, about a fifth lead to quadriplegia. But technology continually makes it easier for such people to lead enjoyable and productive lives.

Mobility is vital and at a single Web site you can find 55 different models of power wheelchairs, the descriptions of which resemble sports car reviews. They discuss horsepower, speed, turning radius and how high an object they can surmount.

One has âŒ*Six wheels on the ground (to) provide superior stability and a smoother ride,â–* while another has tank-like treads for off-road driving. The iBOT wheelchair climbs and descends stairs.

Communication is also vital, aided now by tremendously improved, voice-activated software. It allows writing books, surfing the Web, using the phone, and ≈ O, joy! ≈ even paying bills. Voice-activated e-mail allows quadriplegics the same opportunity to read and write letters and receive spam as the rest of us.

All of these technologies were invented or vastly improved since Christopher Reeveâ–“s accident. Moving higher up the tech ladder, new âŒ*functional electrical stimulationâ–* devices implanted in the body can restore some hand movement and allow those with spinal cord injury to feed themselves. Maggie could have used such a device that assists with breathing, freeing many quadriplegics from the ventilator.

Weâ–“ve also greatly improved our knowledge of physical rehabilitation for recently-injured persons. âŒ*If I could have talked to Maggie,â–* says Kelly, âŒ*Iâ–“d say â–’Weâ–“re going to take you to a real rehab center with other people with spinal cord injuries and a gung-ho staff to help with physical therapy as well as being able to treat your depression.â–“ âŒ*

http://www.theunionleader.com/articl...?article=54875

http://stores.ebay.com/MAKSYM-Variety-Store

Cass, you are an incredibly accomplished woman. Airplane pilot, aeronautic engineer, beloved mother, and artist... No wonder your son is so wonderful. Genes. Wise.

Originally posted by cass:

Steve,

Actually I studied art for a time. So yes, I'm familiar with Picasso and a lot more. I prefer the Impressionists, though. Ok, I gotta add...I collect original artwork. And have traveled quite a bit to see the masters at the Louvre, all over Italy, well, all over Europe. Sorry for all this editing, but the more I mull this over, the more I think! Ok, I gotta add Aussie and the Aboriginal dreamtime art. And the Native Amer. art...oh geesh, I could go on and on bout this. It is a passion of mine. You actually made me chuckle, asking if I'd ever seen a Picasso...but you don't know me. My favorite of all time, in person, is Michelangelo's Pieta. The most beautiful thing I've ever seen. Have you seen her? It's so nice to see someone else appreciating all this great art.

Are you familiar with Chuck Close?

How about literature (all kinds)? I could go into volumes on that. Or the symphony, or Tom Petty. Oh my, I better go to bed. It's just I've been thinking of all this since I read your post.

SCI takes away everybody's physical abilities in an instant. Are you saying because the character was a boxer she somehow lost more? But, as I said, I have no problem with the SCI or the depression in the movie. However, I do have a problem with the gross inaccuracies of the depiction of SCI in the movie.

I never said or implied it was or should be a documentary. I disagree with Matt when he says it shows how bad SCI is. How can it do that when it doesn't portray SCI accurately? Wasn't a comment on trying to put Matt down. Just a disagreement.

btw, steve, I just noticed metro did provide "the real model" with a much more plausible injury for a boxer. have you read the original short story? just curious.

[This message was edited by cass on 03-10-05 at 03:43 AM.]

wise,

you have incredible timing. i really needed some reassurance right now.

thank you, my friend.

Max...Why are you dragging up old topics and reposting the same articles now that you posted 3 months ago? And posting them in a screwed up font! This horse is dead...quit beating it!

Kap

accept no substitutes