Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Eastwood Continues Disability Vendetta with 'Million Dollar Baby'

I watched M D B last night and I dont know why everyone is getting so uptight. So what if the pressure sores looked unrealistic or they got the details wrong.

Sure it peeves me a bit but most movies dont get technical details correct, whether it's phony accents or historical accuracy.

Bottom line is that it was well acted, directed and thought provoking. We can see the flaws in the movie, just as cops must laugh when they see cop movies or whatever.

--
    How do you like them apples?

I saw the movie last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was ENTERTAINMENT, and that alone. On one good note it did show the world how this disability strikes many in the prime of their lives, doing what they loved. And the fact that there is no cure for such a disability.

I don't think most people went to see the movie to get an education in SCI's. Do any of you go to a Jackie Chan movie to learn martial arts?

Come on Cowboycrip, did you see Swanks body? YUMM. Oh if I was a single man, I'd love to get shot down by her.

Better dead than disabled?

Better dead than disabled?

By Nat Hentoff

An admirer of many of ClintEastwood's films, I found, when interviewinghim some years ago, that he has no resemblance to "Dirty Harry." Moreover, as a working jazz pianist in his youth, he felt the life force of that music. But in his current success, "Million Dollar Baby," he is tone deaf to the life force of the disabled as he encourages euthanizing some of them.
    For many years, I have reported on disability rights, and have come to know people diagnosed as "vegetables" in their early years or later as "hopelessly" disabled who have become psychologists, corporate lawyers and even writers.

http://washingtontimes.com/op-ed/200...0023-7502r.htm

http://stores.ebay.com/MAKSYM-Variety-Store

Originally posted by cass:

i thought my point was obvious. you had stated the movie focused on how bad sci life can be, citing the amputation. so...i was wondering if you had ever run across that in your sci life.

amputation due to diabetes is more common. should diabetics kill themselves?

have you ever seen the movie, Whose Life is it Anyway? that movie had more of a point (for the time it was made) with regard to quadriplegia than this one.

in terms of real life sci probs, how bout pca help? or accessibility?? or pain??

or maybe, just maybe...the general attitude toward pwd?
    It's not freaking documentary about spinal cord injury. As far as real life problems, how long are you willing to sit in the movie theater watching all that depressing crap? Sci is hard, so hard that is makes some people kill themselves. That is proof enough, don't you think?

Anyway, I still don't know why you asked me about the amputation, but here goes. I had a blood clot and a pressure sore while I was in the hospital. I could have lost a leg from either of those. They told me stories about people with pressure sores so big that you could stick your fist through them. It's not like it doesn't happen.

I'm not trying to start a fight, but I'm glad you didn't write the script.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by herco:

I saw the movie last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was ENTERTAINMENT, and that alone. On one good note it did show the world how this disability strikes many in the prime of their lives, doing what they loved. And the fact that there is no cure for such a disability.

I don't think most people went to see the movie to get an education in SCI's. Do any of you go to a Jackie Chan movie to learn martial arts?]

Exactly!!!! Is just a freaking movie, we'll know how hard SCI can be, Beleive me.... but is just a movie like any other...

*~*~Kaisha~*~*

yeah, but you didn't matt. as for those ppl you heard about w/big pressure sores, i've personally known several. at Rancho we called them the "gurney guys". in 19 yrs of sci i've seen a lot. known ppl in bed for months with an ulcer. friend has bladder cancer due to sci and many friends have had life-threatening blood clots.

my bro was diabetic. you wanna talk amputations, look at that community. or cancer. i know someone whose body is being amputated away due to that.

i'm damn glad i didn't write the script, too, but then...i tend to stick to the truth when i write. and my taste in books, movies, etc. tends to hold the same standard, when real life issues are addressed. i don't mind the sci in the script. i don't mind the depression. i do mind the gross inaccuracies involving her treatment and death. as a writer, i would be ashamed not to have done my research better.

Far From Hollywood, a Boxer Whose Dreams Died in the Ring
    By RICK LYMAN

Published: March 9, 2005
    the real model?

cass

Just remember movies are an artform just like music, painting and some writing. Have you ever seen any of Picaso's paintings or sculptures? This wasn't suppose to be a documentary on SCI. I've been in a chair 26 years and missed the inaccuracies myself but thought it was a beautiful movie.

It seems like you don't get the point of the movie at all. This was about a woman who uses her physical skills and her determination to make something of herself doing something she loves. So how do you take away someone's physical abilitites in an instant? If you have a better idea let me know. You seem to go on about diabetes and cancer for some reason.

I agree with Matt - what is your point to him? He said that the movie showed how bad SCI was and gave ONE example. What if he used another?

Steve

Steve,

Actually I studied art for a time. So yes, I'm familiar with Picasso and a lot more. I prefer the Impressionists, though. Ok, I gotta add...I collect original artwork. And have traveled quite a bit to see the masters at the Louvre, all over Italy, well, all over Europe. Sorry for all this editing, but the more I mull this over, the more I think! Ok, I gotta add Aussie and the Aboriginal dreamtime art. And the Native Amer. art...oh geesh, I could go on and on bout this. It is a passion of mine. You actually made me chuckle, asking if I'd ever seen a Picasso...but you don't know me. My favorite of all time, in person, is Michelangelo's Pieta. The most beautiful thing I've ever seen. Have you seen her? It's so nice to see someone else appreciating all this great art.

Are you familiar with Chuck Close?

How about literature (all kinds)? I could go into volumes on that. Or the symphony, or Tom Petty. Oh my, I better go to bed. It's just I've been thinking of all this since I read your post.

SCI takes away everybody's physical abilities in an instant. Are you saying because the character was a boxer she somehow lost more? But, as I said, I have no problem with the SCI or the depression in the movie. However, I do have a problem with the gross inaccuracies of the depiction of SCI in the movie.

I never said or implied it was or should be a documentary. I disagree with Matt when he says it shows how bad SCI is. How can it do that when it doesn't portray SCI accurately? Wasn't a comment on trying to put Matt down. Just a disagreement.

btw, steve, I just noticed metro did provide "the real model" with a much more plausible injury for a boxer. have you read the original short story? just curious.

[This message was edited by cass on 03-10-05 at 03:43 AM.]

Clint Eastwood's euthanasia movie

Clint Eastwood's euthanasia movie

By Nat Hentoff Wednesday, March 9, 2005 11:18 AM CST

Clint Eastwood is no Dirty Harry. Attentive and with a wry sense of humor, he has told me he made his living as a jazz pianist in his youth. So he understands the life force of that music. But in his acclaimed "Million Dollar Baby," he is cluelessly encouraging the euthanization of some of the disabled.

For many years, I have reported on disability rights, and have come to know people diagnosed as "vegetables" in their early years - or later as "hopelessly" disabled - who have become psychologists, corporate lawyers and even writers.

I have also learned from them that those of us who are not quadriplegic, or otherwise physically limited, may only be "temporarily able." Any of us can suddenly be disabled.

While gathering prestigious prizes, including Oscars for best picture and directing, Eastwood's "Baby" (with its no-longer-a-surprise ending) has attracted considerable criticism. For example, Lennard Davis, professor of disability studies and human development in the College of Health and Human Development Sciences, University of Illinois at Chicago, writes in the Feb. 2 Chicago Tribune about the ultimate message of the film.

By admirable determination Maggie (Hilary Swank) is successfully trained to be a boxer by Frank (Eastwood). But then, paralyzed by a spinal cord injury, she becomes a quadriplegic. Distraught after losing her leg to bed sores, she beseeches her trainer to euthanize her (also known as killing her). After some hesitation, he agrees. Pertinently, professor Davis adds:

"Since 1990 there are laws that allow (cognitive) patients to refuse treatment. A quadriplegic on a respirator could simply ask to be disconnected from the device. Doctors would have done so and administered a sedative so the person could die peacefully."

http://www.decaturdailydemocrat.com/...ditorial03.txt

http://stores.ebay.com/MAKSYM-Variety-Store