Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Eastwood Continues Disability Vendetta with 'Million Dollar Baby'

Eastwood Continues Disability Vendetta with 'Million Dollar Baby'

Eastwood Continues Disability Vendetta with 'Million Dollar Baby'
    Wednesday January 19, 5:34 pm ET

BETHESDA, Md., Jan. 19 /PRNewswire/ -- Score one for Clint Eastwood for his award winning film, "Million Dollar Baby," a brilliantly executed attack on life after spinal cord injury (SCI). It is exquisitely filmed and acted. Eastwood, director and star of the film, and actors Hillary Swank and Morgan Freeman know their craft. Paring the story to basics, Frankie (Eastwood), an aging manager, agrees to train Maggie (Swank), a talented boxer. Maggie takes a fall and sustains SCI. Frankie then kills Maggie in a nursing home at her request.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050119/dcw068_1.html

http://stores.ebay.com/MAKSYM-Variety-Store

He sounds like a Pr--K. But maybe he did us a favor.
    From the article posted by Max
    Eastwood fails to include mention that it is discrimination, poverty, and an inaccessible society that sometimes lead newly-injured people to abandon hope and choose death.

SCI suicide rates are among the highest of any group. Personally I've witnessed 3 in 4yrs. Two of them were guys I went through rehab with.

Not that I think CE is necessarily right but I understand his perspective. It is one that is more the expected societal norm than the exception. We, here at CC, are the other side of that expectation and exception.

And there's a reason why there's only 8 thousand plus members here - so far. I believe that the majority don't know that it (CC) exists and/or have become so hopeless as to not really care about the hand/fate being dealt. They're resigned and conditioned by society (media especially) that they will endure a horrible life - not worth living.

Is CE's perspective, as it applies to the societal norms, really that out of touch then?

We are a very unique group/community. The majority of the general public more than likely sees the movie as CE does whereas we do not. Interesting.

Think it might be possible as a good gesture for movie theaters to hand out a little brochure or even business card recommending the CareCure website? Or, when it is released in DVD to put our website on the envelope?

Help is available at CareCure

nothingwrong w/ that. he helped die, i hope if the time ever comes and i cant do it myself, someone i luv helps me go.

Hasn't opened here yet, but I will be seeing a sneak next week with the Cinema Society. Have already arranged for one of my clients (C4) to go to participate in the discussion group after the film. Should be interesting!

(KLD)

Disabled groups condemn Eastwood euthanasia film

Disabled groups condemn Eastwood euthanasia film
    By James Langton in New York
    (Filed: 23/01/2005)

Clint Eastwood, the Hollywood screen legend, is under fire from disabled groups who say that his latest award-winning film is thinly disguised propaganda for euthanasia.

Eastwood is the director of Million Dollar Baby, a drama about a female boxer described as "Rocky in a sports bra," in which he also stars alongside Hilary Swank and Morgan Freeman.

The film went on general release in the United States earlier this month and critics identified it as a leading contender for an Academy Award after Swank and Eastwood won Golden Globes for Best Actress and Best Director.

Ostensibly, the film is about a young boxer who turns to an elderly trainer to take her to the top. Yet audiences have been astonished by an unheralded plot twist in which a leading character becomes crippled in a serious accident and begs to be put to death.

The film's detractors accuse Warner Brothers, the studio that made it, of deliberately concealing the grim ending. A number of religious right-to-life groups are also upset because Eastwood's character is a devout Roman Catholic who attends mass every day.

Debbie Schlussel, a conservative television and radio commentator, described the film as a "million dollar lie" and a "cover story to suck moviegoers in for a nefarious message." She said that the film supported "killing the handicapped, literally putting their lights out".

The National Spinal Cord Injury Association, one of America's most respected organisations for disabled people, accused Eastwood of a "disability vendetta," describing the last scene of the film as a "brilliantly executed attack on life after a spinal cord injury."

Eastwood clashed previously with the charity when he spent $600,000 (£319,500) fighting a legal order to make his Mission Ranch Hotel in Carmel, California, accessible to handicapped people.

Marcia Roth, the association's chief executive, said the star was using the "power of fame and film to perpetuate his view that the lives of people with disabilities are not worth living."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...3/ixworld.html

I think this topic is a little hard on Mr. Eastwood. I doubt he has a "vendetta" against anyone, infact quite the opposite.

Hard to comment w/o seeing the film but I think it drops quality of life center stage and have no problem with it.

I'm not saying right or wrong but I imagine every Quad, if not every SCI, has faced this.
    s.

Eastwood film under fire

Eastwood film under fire
    By James Langton
    New York
    January 24, 2005

Page Tools
    Email to a friend Printer format
    Hilary Swank in Million Dollar Baby
    Photo: Supplied
    Clint Eastwood, the Hollywood screen legend, is under fire from disabled groups who say that his latest award-winning film is thinly disguised propaganda for euthanasia.

Eastwood is the director of Million Dollar Baby, about a female boxer described as "Rocky in a sports bra", in which he also stars alongside Hilary Swank and Morgan Freeman. The film was released in the United States this month and critics have identified it as a leading contender for an Academy Award. It is about a young boxer (Swank) who turns to an elderly trainer (Eastwood) to take her to the top.

Preview audiences have been astonished by a plot twist in which one of the leading characters becomes crippled in a serious accident and begs to be put to death.

Detractors accuse Warner Brothers, the studio that made it, of deliberately concealing the grim ending to avoid upsetting audiences. A number of religious right-to-life groups are also upset because Eastwood's character is a Roman Catholic who attends Mass every day.

Debbie Schlussel, a conservative
    http://www.theage.com.au/news/Film/E...oneclick=true#