Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "million dollar baby" review

"million dollar baby" review

hmmmm....
    i had no idea this was the surprise ending.
    has anyone here seen this movie?
    your opinions?
    does anyone find it odd that clint eastwood chose this as a subject matter for his movie?
    http://www.raggededgemagazine.com/re...llionbaby.html

I am not sure better dead than disabled isn't true

Great article. This part really cracked me up
    >>>>
    "The cynic in me says that maybe the most accurate label we can put on this movie is "Clint Eastwood's Revenge." Hey, if we kill 'em, we don't have to make our resorts accessible!"
    <<<<<

I dont think I would waste my time seeing this movie.

Looks like Mr Eastwood has been to the same Director's school as Mel Gibson.

Of course, they'll both say "It's only a film", even though it mixes fact with fiction.

It all adds up to be a pretty confusing message to the non-disabled community, and does nothing to promote disabled people as having any quality of life, or having anything worthwhile to contribute to society.

Simon.

http://www.apparelyzed.com

Press Release Source: National Spinal Cord Injury Association

Eastwood Continues Disability Vendetta with 'Million Dollar Baby'
    Wednesday January 19, 5:34 pm ET

BETHESDA, Md., Jan. 19 /PRNewswire/ -- Score one for Clint Eastwood for his award winning film, "Million Dollar Baby," a brilliantly executed attack on life after spinal cord injury (SCI). It is exquisitely filmed and acted. Eastwood, director and star of the film, and actors Hillary Swank and Morgan Freeman know their craft. Paring the story to basics, Frankie (Eastwood), an aging manager, agrees to train Maggie (Swank), a talented boxer. Maggie takes a fall and sustains SCI. Frankie then kills Maggie in a nursing home at her request.
    ADVERTISEMENT

Eastwood's message that life with SCI, with a disability, is not worth living is a prejudice shared by many. Missing is an exploration of why Maggie was in a nursing home without rehabilitation rather than returning home and attempting a decent quality of life. Eastwood fails to include mention that it is discrimination, poverty, and an inaccessible society that sometimes lead newly-injured people to abandon hope and choose death.

"Eastwood is remembered by many for his attack on the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) in 2000," said Marcie Roth, CEO of the National Spinal Cord Injury Association. "I'm saddened but not surprised that he uses the power of fame and film to perpetuate his view that the lives of people with disabilities are not worth living."

Perhaps this movie is Dirty Harry's revenge for being sued in 1997 after refusing to include $7000 worth of accessible bathrooms in his 6.7 million dollar resort renovation. Eastwood spearheaded the call to weaken the ADA by including a detrimental ninety-day notification provision. The fact that Eastwood refused pre-lawsuit notification via certified mail and was sued under California state law not the ADA came out at a subsequent congressional hearing.

"Many people with SCI and other disabilities survive, thrive, and contribute to our society," stated Roth. "Dirty Harry could win the day and show us all a better use of his legendary talent by portraying disabled lives well-lived rather than sending the damaging message "better dead than disabled."

Founded in 1948, the National Spinal Cord Injury Association is dedicated to improving the quality of life for hundreds of thousands of Americans with spinal cord injury and disease and their families. This number grows by approximately thirty newly-injured people each day (see http://www.spinalcord.org).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Source: National Spinal Cord Injury Association

~ Check out www.CureParalysisNow.org for SCI Cure Awareness/ Advocacy Materials and Products ~

I was hoping for an intelligent conversation, but if people continue to post without first seeing the movie, that will be difficult.

The movie is not about boxing or SCI. And it doesn't even pretend to deal with any particular disability issues. It's all about the special relationship that develops between Frankie and Maggie, the two characters played by Eastwood and Swank.

As for the lawsuit against Eastwood, here's just one article, among many, that explains the particulars.

Evidently Clint Eastwood doesn't like us...

Just got this from a friend:

Press Release from Not Dead Yet:

Click Here for Full Article
    ..."We feel it's no coincidence that Eastwood is also a staunch opponent of the Americans with Disabilities Act. (ADA) He's been sued - and lost - under the act in regard to a resort he owns. After his loss in the courts, he engaged in a legislative campaign to weaken the ADA, even giving testimony in Congress. His face is on the cover of a book on ADA backlash called "Make Them Go Away"...

Originally posted by hope2findacure:

You're an exploitative attorney???...Who would have figured?

I'm with Curt.

Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards.-- Søren Kierkegaard

Originally posted by Rick:

Originally posted by hope2findacure:
    You're an exploitative attorney???...Who would have figured?
    You must really be an Eastwood fan.
    I used to be.

I can tell you from our personal experiences, the ADA at best is like a bandaid slapped on a gaping wound.
    There is no reason to disregard it.
    As little as the ADA calls for, actually costing no more to follow Universal Design, (however going in afterwards and fixing it afterward the way it should have been done to begin with is big bucks), the thought that people think they can build anything (whether a restaurant, a hotel, or simply re-painting the parking lot...whatever), disregarding the ADA angers me. The thought that someone would actually try to weaken the ADA...

I think we're going to box up our Clint Eastwood DVD's and mail them along with a letter...that is if I can find a mailing address.
    Oh by the way, any attorney taking on ADA cases is not exploiting anything. They are fighting to protect civil rights. Fighting to make people like Clint Eastwood or whomever, go back and do what they should have done to begin with. Costs alot of money to tear it down and re-do it. Do I feel sorry for anyone that broke the law?
    No.