Thread: ANDREA YATES - CHILD MURDER'S VERDICT OVERTURN…

ANDREA YATES - CHILD MURDER'S VERDICT OVERTURN…

In Texas State appeals court, today! Man, talk about a travesty of justice, and it was on a technicality, too! Read it for yourself, if you wish to do so. I'm too stunned by the court's decision to comment tonight.

She isn't being set free. She has a lifetime of mental illness history behind her. The worst that will happen is that she will spend the rest of her life in an expensive Mental Hospital, which we tax payers will have to pay for. That's part of the tragedy.

The District Attorney is making his own appeal, to stop the defense's actions, and he said he MAY (but that's not for certain), go after Dr. Park Dietz for perjury, for purposely making such a false statement. Dietz is a "professional" witness, who does nothing more than testify on behalf of, or against a defendant, as each case requires, for very exorbitant fees... in this trial he got $150,000.00 for his testimony against Yates.

I guess 9-1-1 confessions, and taped police confessions don't count for anything these days!

The women is seriously mentally ill. She fell through the mental health systems cracks big time. The travesty was that she was found competent in the first place. The second is that she was on home treatment because insurance would not continue with hospital based mental health care. The insurace and the doctors who discharged her due to lack of coverage are the ones who should be tried for murder.

And sorry, but I don't suspect that a lifetime in a mental health facility is any picnic. There are NO winners in this tragedy and very many lost, 5 children to be exact.

Why is it that the richest nation can find $$ for mental health care after a murder but not before one takes place?

And before you comment, my injury is the result of an assault by a mentally ill 13 year old whose single parent could not get funding to assist with additional care and medications. I don't hold him or his mother responsible but rather the system that looked the other way. My assault occurred in a public school program for kids with mental illness. Everyone knew he was ill and prone to violence but the meeting to place the kid elsewhere was not until the following week....7 months after the initial referral!

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles"....C. Reeve 1998

I have one question which she knows she killed her kids SHE HAS CONFESSED. That to me means that her conviction should not be overturned put her in a hospital and make sure she gets help and couseling. She is mentally ill and should get the best treatment possible but she killed her children. Many people have gotten help and are passed this stage in their life and are perfectly fine. But she went over the line and killed her children. I feel sorry for her family and husband ex-husband maybe. A judge and jury have spoken so do no more now.

In the court of conscience, I think that Rusty is every bit as guilty as Andrea. He should have ensured she receive the treatment she so desperately needed. Unfortunately, though, in a court of law, no one will do anything to him.

She was diagnosed with severe postpartum depression after child #1, but Rusty kept wanting her to have MORE kids!!! WTF?!?! Even after the doctors recommended that she not have any more kids. Postpartum depression has been proven to get WORSE with successive children, NOT BETTER! Don't get me wrong, that does not absolve her of the murder of her 5 children. But people need to realize that Rusty was part of the problem also.

my injury is also the result of a mentally ill person's actions. he was discharged from a county mental facility 3 weeks prior and told he could drive (part of his illness was hallucinations). so his dad hands him the keys to a brand new vehicle, and i end up getting hit while stopped at a red light (he was going over 80 mph).

who was at fault? the mentally ill individual, the county mental facility or the dad? you decide.

Originally posted by cheesecake:

Why is it that the richest nation can find $$ for mental health care after a murder but not before one takes place?

And before you comment, my injury is the result of an assault by a mentally ill 13 year old whose single parent could not get funding to assist with additional care and medications. I don't hold him or his mother responsible but rather the system that looked the other way. My assault occurred in a public school program for kids with mental illness. Everyone knew he was ill and prone to violence but the meeting to place the kid elsewhere was not until the following week....7 months after the initial referral!
    It's cases such as the one you described that have drawn me to psychology. In one of the wealthiest nations in the world, children with serious mental health needs... often who need institutionalization at some point in time... are continually be turned away because the system simply has nowhere to put them and is too expensive for parents. I can remember in school with the eventual goal of working with these "extreme" cases where a child needs institutionalization because intervention at these early stages can save money and suffering for years to come. My sister's rather lofty goal is to reach the stage where she can start her own chain of mental health facilities specifically catering to child psychiatric needs replete with behavior modification techniques that will allow these kids to grow up and live normal lives in society versus the current system which leaves our kids either heavily medicated for the rest of their lives or in a continuous cycle of entering and leaving and reentering the system... usually including trips through the dead-end legal system.

The mental health care system in our country is a mess. And, overall, our strategy in tacking health and mental health care issues is to take the intervention road after there is already a serious problem already in existence rather than take preventive steps to tackle issues before they crop up or while they are in their early stages.

Andrea's postpartum psychosis (she was not simply suffering from postpartum depression by medical definition) did slip through the cracks. Whether you want to blame her husband or the system as a whole, someone should have stepped in years before this tragedy happened. The very least the system should do would be to properly place her in a state mental institution for the rest of her life instead of the prison system where she can receive the proper psychiatric treatment she needs. Whole, someone should have stepped in years before this tragedy happened.