Thread: Swallowing difficulties

Swallowing difficulties

This really sounds strange but one day I was drinking my water with no problems at all, and then all of a sudden I went to take another sip and it wanted to go down the wrong way. Ever since then I have been having somewhat of a problem swallowing. It just feels like it wants to go down the wrong way. Now I have to really concentrate so I do not choke on it. Has anyone ever experienced this?

Sometimes when trying to swallow large pills, they seem to not want to go down, so I have to spit it out and not take it. Not the same as a problem swallowing water, I know.

Hope you find out the cause, and solve it.

Alan

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

Rick,
    You might want to tell you doc this is happening.
    Do you sometimes loose the ability to swallow? Or you have to really almost force the action?

Be careful..drink small sips..and eat very small pieces of food until you talk to your doctor..might be something or might not be anything.

" I hate war only as a soldier who has lived it can.
    Only as one who has seen it's brutality, it's futility, it's stupidness." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Until you can see your Doctor, be sure to drink "thick" liquids because they are easier to swallow. And keep concentrating!

Going to go see the doc tomorrow for test. I will have to drink some kind of dye while they take x-rays. I'll let you know how I make out.

I had surgery on my cervical spine. This involved incisions in front and back of my neck. I had extreme difficulty swallowing for the first month post-op. A speech therapist taught me to concentrate on swallowing slowly. The use of thick liquids as stated in another reply here is also good - nectars, shakes and there are additives to thicken whatever your drinking. I guess you can get them at a good drugstore.
    Good luck and be careful.

I also had surgery on my cervical spine. That, along with a trach, made it difficult for me to swallow. I did the x-ray swallow test several times before they released me to eat or drink and I did start out with thickened liquids. Now, a year later, I still occasionally have trouble with choking, especially on liquids and/or my saliva. My Dr told me to always double swallow when I am drinking anything liquid, as there is a small shelf-like protrusion left over from the surgery. The double swallowing has definitely helped.