Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All kids should have this drug problem

All kids should have this drug problem

This is so good and so true - I had to pass it on.

The other day someone at a store in a small town read that a methamphetamine
    lab had been found in an old farm house in the adjoining county and he asked
    me a rhetorical question, "Why didn't we have a drug problem when you and I
    were growing up?" I responded that we did have a drug problem when we were
    kids growing up on the farm or in the city. I had a drug problem when I was
    young:

I was drug to church on Sunday morning.

I was drug to church for weddings and funerals.

I was drug to family reunions and community socials, no matter the weather.

I was drug by my ears when I was disrespectful to adults.

I was also drug to the woodshed when I disobeyed my parents, told a lie,
    brought home a bad report card, did not speak with respect, spoke ill of the
    teacher or the preacher. Or if I didn't put forth my best effort in
    everything that was asked of me.

I was drug to the kitchen sink if I uttered a profane four-letter word. (I
    do know what Lye soap tastes like)

I was drug out to pull weeds in mom's garden and flower beds and cockleburs
    out of dad's fields.

I was drug to the homes of Family, Friends and Neighbors to help out some
    poor soul who had no one, to mow the yard, repair the clothesline or chop
    some fire wood, and if my Mother had ever known that I took a single dime as
    a tip for this kindness she would have drug me back to the wood shed.

Those drugs are still in my veins; and they affect my behavior in everything
    I do, say and think. They are stronger than cocaine, crack or heroin, and
    if today's children had this kind of drug problem, America might be a better
    place today!

Other than the church stuff i agree.

I think the whole thing is great!!

That an insane way to raise a child. It saddens me when people advocate that behavior. Its parenting done when you yourself don't respect humanity.

Children learn by example. When you get angry and hit your child or wash their mouth out you teach them that when someone does wrong they should physically punish them. It does not make a good person, it makes a person who perpetuates violence in their life. It makes someone that thinks this is a way to raise a child.

I agree, Anne, that violence is bad, but I don't think that is what was meant. I think the point of this is that we need to go back to rules and enforcing them. We are so scared to inflict 'boundries' on our kids because we are afraid we will offend them or stiple their personal growth, but what we have wound up with is alot of spoiled brats who can't follow rules. Times certainly have changed, and I as a parent am not guilt-free either. I mean, when I was a kid, I ALWAYS addressed my friends' parents as Mr. or Mrs. Nowadays, we parents are called by our first names by our kids' peers. I just think we need to get back to some basic rules and hard work. I'm sure that's all Hunker meant when he printed the article.

THIS IS SO TRUE! I almost killed my 17 year old today.

Anne,
    The story was sent to me by neighbor who is over 65 and has treated me like a son for over 15 years. It's just some memories. You may not have been spanked as a child but to this day I say "Yes sir"-"No sir"-"Yes mam"-"No mam"-"thank you"-"please" and "how may I help you?"
    Now days I hear children say"I hate you"-"No"-tell parents what to do. I hear parent talking as the child and the child as the parent. Example:I was in the store there was a truant officer talking and he said if parents could spank the child he would not have so much work to do.
    My son is gong to court December third because he was beat up by a gang. These are thirteen year old children being charged with assault. I do not mean that we should be "violent" with our children. The boy across the street from me sells crack, the neighbors two doors down let their girls prostitute and the boy in the cul-de-sac (he is 6 years old ) has been left in the cold outside after school twice. Perhaps my neighbor that wrote this to me has a point or two. I did not mean to "beat" the children. However discipline and rules are a need for children or they would not need the parent.

-----------------------------------------------

[This message was edited by Hunker on 11-28-04 at 07:23 PM.]

Originally posted by AnneOfGreenGables:

That an insane way to raise a child. It saddens me when people advocate that behavior. Its parenting done when you yourself don't respect humanity.

Children learn by example. When you get angry and hit your child or wash their mouth out you teach them that when someone does wrong they should physically punish them. It does not make a good person, it makes a person who perpetuates violence in their life. It makes someone that thinks this is a way to raise a child.
    If you spank your kids or punish them for wrongdoing it can lead to what you are saying. But if done the correct way then they should coome out as a well rounded individual. If you just spank your kids with no explanation and dont explain why and that you love them than that is a recipe for disaster. But if you spank your kids when they do wrong explain why they deserved it and let them know that you still love them no matter what than that is the correct way of doing things.

Both permissive/indulgent parenting and abusive/authoritarian parenting is damaging. They are not the only options. I was spanked and I think it is wrong and choose not to continue the cycle. My husband feels the same. Consistency is much more important then the punishments one uses. Grounding, restricting, logic, "earning" can all be used, all while being able to teach a child not to use violence in anger, as physical punishments do. I know I am FAR FAR FAR from perfect in parenting, but I cant giggle and say "aint that true" when people are praising child abuse.

I don't know how a person can love their child and hit them. I will never understand that. When you have kids you realize they mimic everything you do. I have a delightful habit of saying "MOVE MOVE MOVE MOVE" when I am stuck behind a slow car. And what do I hear from the back seat these days? "MOVE MOVE MOVE MOVE". They like my favorite color and will try a food I enjoy, as long as it isn't green. I would have to be dumb and naive to think that is where it ends. If I hit, they will hit. If I physically dominate them, they will learn to physically dominate people.

Nostalgia aside, child delinquency is not a new thing, nor is permissive parenting. Maybe your neighborhood just went down hill. Maybe its working mothers, or the media, or perhaps a sign of social evolution with many causes. But that prostitute down the street was likely hit plenty in her young life.

I think we might both agree that consistency is really much more the issue with these delinquents.

Btw, sorry about your son, hope he is ok.

So we should call the cops on our children when they are insubordinate?[URL=http://www.olderchildadoption.com/parenting/childrenabusing.htm]