Thread: What were the chances?

What were the chances?

I was injured August 11, 2001 at a country concert and suffered a c5 inc. sci. I was 20. I grew up playing travel soccer with my one of my best friends Dave Harris. We played sports together up until we graduated. After high school we would go our seprate ways running into eachother from time to time at field parties always stopping to talk to eachother and catch up on old times.

When I was injured it was told to me later that when Dave came to see me in the hospital he told his parents that "I would rather die than live like that." A completely understandable thing to share with your parents when you don't know how you would carry on in this situation....

Dave was driving home July, 6 2004 when he fell asleep at the wheel 2 miles from his house and struck a tree. He suffered a major head injury, majore internal bleeding, broken nose, broken jaw, broken back in two places and worse of all a C5 SCI.

He is still in rehab and I go to visit him as often as possible. We still only live 15min away from eachother. I have alway's said that if I could just help one person with a similar situation....

He seems to be doing well mentally. I just keep telling him that we will conqure this shit together. We were both athletes and very well built. I'm sure we will drive and compete with eachother a long this bumpy road to a cure.

Sometimes we just look at eachother and say....

What were the chances?

Jeff

P.S Here is his web site.
    http://www.stacelyn.com/daveharris/index.htm

oh wow. sorry to hear this. as sad as it is for both you to have to go through SCI, I'm sure it will help both of you immensely to have each other for support. it is amazing how much you can learn and gain from helping somebody. and having somebody who has 'been there, done that' can put so much hope and light into the scary SCI shock. my prayers are with both of you.

" The best way to predict the future is to invent it."
    - Alan Kay

Thanks Amanda. I just have to make sure he can see the the light at the end of the tunnel. I know I can.

Jeff

Wow, that's just bizarre. Thank god he has your support, that is going to mean SO MUCH to him. I think you're going to do him a world of good.

Jodi

"Your children make it impossible to regret your past"

Wow Jeff thats wild..I think everybody thinks the ''i couldnt live'' thing at some point...i had a cousin suffer an SCI years before i did and i thought that very same thing..Ive got friends now who think it,but when/if it happens to someone there way thinking about the situation seems to change...Will,thats what ive found anyway,im sure its not always the case but your there for him and he's seen through you that life goes on and you just cant cash in your chips...theres family,friends and always the undying will to live....

~~or whatever it is i just spelled~~

That is weird Jeff. I don't believe in coincidence. All the best with your friend.
    My Dad said something similar to me and we buried him one year exactly to the date after my accident. God only knows the answers to these things.

Man that sucks(as it does for us all). Hope you can make his trek thru this maze a bit better. Keep an eye on him, you never know how deep that " I'd rather die..." feelings may run in him.

McD

"Rather be ridin' than rollin'"