Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Driving from manual chair...

Driving from manual chair...

Who does it and can
    anyone recommend what
    chairs work best with
    EZ lock setup?

Joe

I'd guess you need to call EZ Lock to get that answer. I am in the process of getting a van and will drive from my chair. What bugs the crap out of me is that the bracket that attaches to your chair is 10 lbs!

What a bitch, have a TiLite and load the damn thing up with scrap metal. Oh yeah, and so much for having a folding chair.

McD

"Rather be ridin' than rollin'"

EZ Lock has a chart on tyheir website. most any rigid, non suspension chair. McDuff is right its heavy. if balanced right it isn't too bad.

Has anyone driven van WITHOUT any EZ lock device to secure their chair while driving self?

If so, was it some tie-down NOT permantly attached to chair?

If drove with NO lock or tie-down, were you able to drive without chair moving? If yes, how?

chick:

- yes.
    - no.
    - no.

it's really not safe at all.

That would scare the hell outta
    me Scott.

I want to drive from my i-glide,
    which sure as hell looks like
    a t-lite. Never crash tested
    so no one will touch it.

I am sick of using a power
    as my primary chair but
    I can't transfer to captains
    chair so.....

J.

Chick,
    Jim's van dealer has never used a tie down of any kind, although he never recommends this. He uses a permobile chair, C5, complete. Uses his cell phone, eats, drinks and drives alot. I've never noticed his chair moving while in transit. He put in the EZ lock on Jim's van for us, as well as giving us great deal on vans and just plain advice. He made his own ceiling lift for his house, from bed to shower, using spare parts! His business, Accesible Mobility is now in it's 3rd successful year, yeah Kevin!

Sorry, Joe, I got off subject. Jim has EZ Lock on his powerchair, Invacare GB and we are getting one put on his Invacare manual, I think it's a A1 or A4, something like that. I would think a manual would move around more than a powerchair, more apt to tip if hit, etc.

Originally posted by NoDecafPlz:

I am sick of using a power
    as my primary chair but
    I can't transfer to captains
    chair so.....
    C5 complete and I just started driving a couple months ago. I don't know about you, but for me the benefits of driving far outweigh any power vs. manual wheelchair debate.

-Lewis

Originally posted by chick:

Has anyone driven van WITHOUT any EZ lock device to secure their chair while driving self?

If so, was it some tie-down NOT permantly attached to chair?

If drove with NO lock or tie-down, were you able to drive without chair moving? If yes, how?
    Driving without an EZ Lock is reckless, and puts other people at risk.

Let's take a physics lesson. Let us concentrate on inertia and the law of gravity. Inertia comes into play when you accelerate. If you apply the brakes, your wheelchair will stay in motion until it hits an outside force. Let's name this outside force, the windshield. Now, here's the cool part, the faster you're going and the heavier your wheelchair/body is the greater the consequences. You can thank inertia's friend, the law of gravity for that part.

Pursue driving in a safe manner and don't take unnecessary risks.

-Lewis