Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: NetFlix - yay or nay?

NetFlix - yay or nay?

I'm considering a subscription to Netflix service. I'm especially impressed with their collection of items that don't seem to be available through other outlets (indy films / collections of old BBC stuff).
    I'd like to hear from anyone with good or bad things to say about them.
    Thanks.

I've been a subscriber since May or June and LOVE IT. I have had no complaints about them yet. I would recommend them to anyone.

Hope this helps!

I absolutely love Netflix. The convenience of using mail delivery is so nice. Plus they recently reduced their prices. We unsubscribed from an expensive cable tv plan. I was so tired of MTV, ETV, VH1, blah, blah constantly blaring in our home. Celebrity breakups, celebrity makeovers, celebrity mansions, rock stars dating models, top 100 this, moviestar that. Now I'm in control! I took back my home!

We've been watching much higher quality programs, spending a lot more time talking, getting to bed earlier, and a million other benefits. Turn off your cable tv!!!!

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

I have been a subscriber for about a year and I love it. I get the DVDs in the mail, no rushing videos or DVDs back to Blockbuster when they are about to close, and I just put them in the mail when I am done. I especially appreciated it this summer when I had surgery and could not drive for several months.

I maintain about 50 films in my "queue" on-line, and can easily change the order to suit my mood. There are very few films available on DVD that they do not carry (classics, foreign, documentary, TV shows, new releases, etc.). I am about 100 miles from a distribution center, and usually get about a 3-4 day turn around.

I gave my parents a gift subscription for Christmas last year, and renewed it for my mother's birthday, and for Mother's Day (a great holiday gift idea for yourself or others on your list who love films!). They love it too.

(KLD)

Also, another cool thing about Netflix is a good 95% of the time, there is a trailer for the movie you choose. That's helpful

I wholeheartedly agree with all said here.

I live near a distribution center and get 2DAY turnaround picked up from my mailbox. Put in box monday, email notification they got 'em and what is being sent on tuesday, in my box on wednesday.

Had one get lost in mail, just disappeared(somebody wanted it I guess). After not seeing it received for a few days, just did online "lost in mail" they said "no problem" and got me back on track(of course they will get suspicious if "many" disappear).

Only bad thing, their "New Releases" listings kinda suck. But I just use this website to find out what is coming out:

www.onvideo.org/calendar/cal_dvd.htm

Go for it, you won't be disappointed.

McD

"Rather be ridin' than rollin'"

I just recently (~ 1-2 months ago) jumped on this bandwagon. I love it. my bf and I are big movie watchers. but, neither of us are good at returning in time to escape the ridiculous late charges. I too notice their new release list kind sucks. I've been looking up new releases other places when I go in to update my queue. I give it a "yay".

" The best way to predict the future is to invent it."
    - Alan Kay

love it!! my husband has had it from the beginning and has been "grandfathered in" so we get 4 at a time for $19.99/month.

~*~*~Priscilla Katheryn

I've been with Netflix for 3-4 years by now. It's definitely worthwile, especially if you watch a lot of independent, foreign, or non-mainstream movies.

Also, Netflix just lowered (yes LOWERED) the price for the 3 DVD plan by 4 bucks. I never would've expected that.

One last thing, if you want to watch new releases, move them to the #1 slot in your queue a few days before the official release date (which is usually on a Tuesday). Netflix mails out new releases a couple of days early, so that the arrive in your mailbox on the official release date. You just have to make sure that you time the return of one of your prior movies to allow the new release to go out on Saturday or Monday.

If you watch them promptly, you can watch at least 12 movies a month.

I use this site to find out the new releases:

http://www.onvideo.org/calendar/cal_nov.htm

Enjoy,
    MZ

Thanks for the feedback.
    I'm going for Netflix - I especially want to see the BBC serialization of John LeCarre's "Smiley's People" and "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" - they have these in their collection!
    The only thing is, I'm worried about my local public library. I think my late fees were paying someone's salary!