Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The new Zq8 Colorado pickup trucks great W/C vehicle

The new Zq8 Colorado pickup trucks great W/C vehicle

I am thinking about getting a brand new vehicle pretty soon and was exploring the available trucks out there that are good for wheelchair access. I first looked at the new Toyota Tacoma trucks, the 2005 are real nice, they have been redesigned, but what I found was they are a little on the high side (actually a lot if you are looking for a 4wd) and therefore kind of hard to transfer into. I then looked at the dodge dakotas, again, they are too high, even the 2 wheel drive ones.

Then I happened to spot a Chevy Colorado Zq8 two wheel drive at a Chevy dealership and I think I stumbled upon the perfect W/C vehicle. They have rear opening access doors on either side. The height of the truck is about the same as my W/C and a very easy transfer to get in, very little stress on the shoulders and the Chair (I use a folding W/C) fits very nicely in the extended cab, the access door handle is very easy to reach. There is all kinds of space in the front cab, they are very roomy and comfortable.

You can get them with either a 4 cylinder motor or a 5 cylinder motor that puts out a respectable 220 hp and still gets around 22 mpg. The Automatic is available as a $1000.00 option and I think should I buy one I am going to try and get The GM mobility program to pickup the $1000.00 for the Automatic trans as they allow up to $1000.00 for Mobility related modifications to the truck and I already have handcontrols and I can install them myself. If it were not for my disability I would get a standard trans, that is going to be my arguement even though I have the feeling it may be a losing battle as they are going to try and tell me that the automatic is not a mobility related modification. It will be interesting to try anyhow, lol.

I am thinking about waiting a couple of months as in two months the ZQ8 package will be available as the new 2005 Colorado Xtreme which looks a lot more sporty and includes a ground effects package, front and rear spoilers and a special gauge package, guess I am still a kid at heart, thinking about getting one in bright red, just in time for Christmas, lol.

I found the non Zq8 Colorados and the GMC Canyons to be a little on the high side and the 4 wheel drive ones are way too high. So as long as someone does not live in a real snow belt, the 2wd's should work out ok.

Good for you Curt.

you can lower the for wheel drives. BelTech has a kit that does not effect the 4X4 except for ground clearence.

T-10 complete
    10/08/01

Merry Christmas Curt.

Speaking of hotrods, now if GM puts this version of the Colorado into production....

I saw a canary yellow one this weekend and had to look and see who made it, But it is a Very NICE looking truck

Doug

Oh man after seeing the V-8 where do you sign up to get one!!!!!!!

Thanks for posting the pictures Andy, it is a darn good looking truck. I was just talking to a friend today as we were riding our handcycles in that what in the heck is GM thinking? They come out with the monte carlo SS 5 or 6 years ago and give it a sluggish 200 hp v-6 motor when they could have at least added a supercharger to it and had it at 280 to 300hp and now the Colorado Xtreme with the same 4cyl or 5cyl as the base models? Why not make it different and at least add a Supercharger or a V-8 motor to the Xtreme model? Sometimes I cant understand where GM is coming from, I think this kind of mentality has cost them a lot of sales in the past. Anyhow, I will get the 5Cyl (220hp) model and hope that a Supercharger Add on is available within the next couple of years.

Really nice truck, I love trucks. 2 weeks ago I was cruising down the road in my powerchair; and I stopped as I passed this nice look'n truck. It was the Colorado, real nice. Keep us posted Curt.

Patrick,,, do you haave one,,,,, how much you think it cost to drop it,,,??

Curt, they started putting the supercharged 3800 motor into the Monte Carlo SS's in 2004. Of course when I had to go shopping for a car to replace my truck so I could have a more usable vehicle post SCI, it was the 2003 model year, grrrrr (I have a Monte SS). I was toying with the idea of trading my car for a current supercharged model, changing the blower pulley and having some fun like that, but it seems just a bit much of the same thing going that route. Then I checked out the new GTO, what a strange car...2 doors, but the doors are really short, and they dont open very wide at all, and the thing just seemed a bit cheap when I looked at it, so I got turned off on that one. What was GM thinking? Well, cant blame them for that one, it is a Holden from Australia. Maybe I will move to the Ford camp soon with the Mustang GT, still have to check that one out. I really want some form of performance 'toy' car.

Curt,

I much prefer a truck over most any car. However, I didn't want to buy a truck and lower it, which for me would still be to tall for a low stress transfer. I am a GM guy by nature (raced a sbc for years pre injury).

I wound up with a Dodge Magnum RT (Yea.....it's gotta hemi ). Rides smooth, quiet, and the SXT version has a 250 hp V-6, holds a lot of gear and keeps it dry, but best of all, it's a level transfer from W/C to the car seat. The base SE has 190 hp (not enough for a 4,200 lb car) and goes for around $18,900. I have never been a Chrysler fan, but the Magnums are very impressive. Suspension, steering and the transmission (only the RT has the 5 speed) is a Mercedes design made in the USA.

Just giving you another workable option from a W/C users perspective.