Thread: Harrington Rods??OUCH!

Harrington Rods??OUCH!

Im now about 3 months post injury, and i have ?/ about theses Harrington Rods they put in my back. Im in soooo mcuh pain all the time, and wondering if thesse rods they put in there have anything to do with it.. anyone have any feed back? THey said they were perminate. I can feelt he screws and clamp, and rods on my back..BLicccckkkk!

harrington rods

crashgirl246 - I am assuming that you are post SCI; is this correct? How long have you had the pain and what is it like? Have you been re-evaluated by your SCI doctor since you left rehab? If not, it would be appropriate for you to contact him for an evaluation of the pain that you are experiencing. Have you always been able to feel the screws and instrumentation that you describe or is this a new observation? If this is new, you, definitely, should contact your doctor.

Rods and instrumentation are used to stabilize the bony structure of the spine during healing. Healing occurs within a few months and removal of any instrumentation is reasonable after 9 months.

There have been several posts on this topic. These may provide other incites for you: http://carecure.org/forum/search.php?searchid=54567 CRF

Harrington Rods

I should also add, that the hardwear in my back starts at about T4, and goes to about where my bellybutton is. Ive been able to feel the screws and rods since the swelling went down after surgery. Im wondering if the rods will hinder my mobility? I was very active prior to my injury (bodybuilding,especially) and plan on being even MORE active now. Im getting a lot of Lower back PAIN,not on my spine but rather off to the side(right)and they dont know why. I go back to the doctor on Dec 3. for a follow up.

I had a lot of similar pain after a T-8 injury in 97. The pain was due mainly to a nueromusucular imbalance that caused the back to begin develop a scoliotic curve. Most of the pain occurred as you described... not on the spine but out in the back and rib area. Rod removal will not alliviate this pain.

You need to have some "x-rays while seated" to begin to monitor the amount of scoliotic deflection with respect to time.

One other source of pain in the spinal area is when the rods are hooked to bones that are un-fused. The connect points of the rods onto a vertabrae (usually above the injury level or even below the injury level if you are incomplete) can become a point-of-pain source. Eventual rod removal will help

crashgirl

I had similar problems with my injury early on, lots of pain and I could actually see the harrington rods under the skin. I was into weights also, so it felt like my back had been fillet. As time went on I built more muscle around the area of injury and have been working on flexibility and the pain seems to have subsided, although I do get sore from time to time.