Thread: LIFE EXPECTANCY?

LIFE EXPECTANCY?

AFTER SCI, WILL A PARAPLEGIC STILL HAVE A NORMAL LIFE EXPECTANCY??

Hey David,

I asked the same questions except for an incomplete quad (c7-c8). I'm 27 years s/p. I take care of myself and do all the right things for mainteneance. I've out lived the statistics. I'm 47 now.

I asked my physicians and it comes down to this. They can't give an "Invidual" a number. They have revised estimates. But as a SCI everyone is different, it comes down to how well YOU take care of yourself!!

I'm working on a website to be a resource for sci. Check out the sci resources link!

Quad's United

No... i've read 3 sources for life expectancy. I was injured at 27 years old. Aparently i lose 15 years of my life span according to all the studies.

So realistically I am 42 years old now. I can have my mid life crisis at any time and buy a red corvette.

There's charts where you figure when you got injured. Then you have to look up what range of your injury you are for your life expectancy.

a vent quad, like cr, if they survive the first year most doesnt live past 10 years. cr was at 9.5 years post injury.

This link has a link to tables of life expectancy. Life Expectancy

This link also has comments by Dr Young (and others) explaining these are averages and things that we can do to increase our life expectancy. Mike

T12 Incomplete - Walking with Crutches, Oct 2003

Please, don't buy into these whole life expectancy charts. I think it's different for each individual person. Don't pick yourself out on a chart and figure up how many more years you have to live. Enjoy each day to the fullest.