Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grandparent's and Parent's "Sayings"

Grandparent's and Parent's "Sayings"

I remember a couple of saying's my mother used to say over the years.I'm sure there are others who also remember some from their life also.
    1. "Lord Love a Duck"
    2. "Two wrongs don't make a right".
    3. "Don't be a goat".
    These are only a couple i can remember at present,i'm sure there are more,please share.

Originally posted by murrey:

I remember a couple of saying's my mother used to say over the years.I'm sure there are others who also remember some from their life also.
    1. "Lord Love a Duck"
    2. "Two wrongs don't make a right".
    3. "Don't be a goat".
    These are only a couple i can remember at present,i'm sure there are more,please share.
    I remember my Dad always said, "Boy, I need a stick to beat off all these women."
    So one year for his birthday I gave him a stick.
    He was though a one woman man.

Help is on the way.

What Did "Lord Love a Duck" mean? I've never heard that one! When my mom was frustrated, she always said "Good Gravy". When she wanted to scare us into thinking she'd hit us (she NEVER did!) She used to say, "I'll slap you into Tuesday".

When as a kid and I found something I'd take it to my Dad or Grandad to ask what it was, I was always amazed that Grandad was NEVER foxed he'd identify everything

"Grandad whats this?"

He would examine it real carefully and pronounce "That son, is a thing of purpose!"

My Grandma would always say when the Autumn nights were drawing in

"Aye it's getting late early these days!"

When somone taked about finding a marriage partner she'd say

"You'll be like the bins and wait to be lifted!"

(You'll be like the trash cans and wait to be collected)

Or when an ODD couple paired up "Aye, when God made them he matched them!"

Tom

Tinbasher
    The Lake District UK

When we were naughy and laughing my mom would say...

"You'll be laughing on the other side of your face it I have to come up to you!"

If we overslept

"You'll sleep your brains into train oil!"

What it meant is still a mystery

Tinbasher
    The Lake District UK

to overweight women (said under his breath): "look, she's got fork and mouth disease."

mean, i know.

This one has been used so much in our family that I am sure everyone has heard it, but anyway...when someone is mad Randys grandma would say...well, he can just be mad till he gets glad.

LeeLee,I think the "Lord love a Duck" just meant we were acting pretty silly at times,possibly it was asking the Lord for hope for us too.

My mom always has said she will 'knock me into next week' when I'm mouthy or in trouble.

When I was wayyy little I use to get in big trouble for swearing. I use to say Jesus Christ, no clue where I picked it up from. Anyway, one day even before I had entered school my mom took a pie she baked out of the oven and I exclaimed 'Jesus Christ that's a big pie!!!'. Let's just say my mom wasn't impressed with my language My dad has always told me since then it's 'cheese and rice'. He still says that, lol. I was a good girl, I swear!

Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

when I used to ask my grandma "how did you do that?", "how is *enter anything a little kid can possibly think of here* done?" she would always answer with a very simple and sweet "very carefully".

" The best way to predict the future is to invent it."
    - Alan Kay