Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Q? for Americans about public bathrooms

Q? for Americans about public bathrooms

When you see a wheelchair bathroom or stall does that mean you will truly be able to use it? Does the ADA ensure that? I ask because I'm forever going into a wheelchair stall only to find that I can't shut the door because theres no room for my chair in there.

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow"
    ~ Anon

Very open to interpretation. I've been to the same large bathroom with 2 wheelchair marked stalls, one was usable, the other one I think they just put the sign up and put a grabrail on the wall, regular stall otherwise. I think the best wheelchair stall farse I saw so far was at O'Hare Airport in Chicago...As you know, you want the door to open outward on a wheelchair stall, this door did, but they forgot to put a grabhandle so you could actually open it. Unless you are as 'tall' as me and able to reach the top of the door to grab hold of something, you arent getting in there! This was seen at two washrooms there so far.

Emi, I live in Illinois and it is no better here.I'm with Andy..I have been in ALOT of accessible bathrooms only to find nothing but a sign and a hand rail

jennifer

So the ADA didn't fix that hey? I asked because out of the half dozen accessible washrooms I've tried to use theres only one that I can use. It's very annoying because going halfway across campus to pee makes me late for class, miss my train and leak on myself.

~ Anon

Originally posted by Emi:

So the ADA didn't fix that hey? I asked because out of the half dozen accessible washrooms I've tried to use at my university theres only one that I can use. It's very annoying because going halfway across campus to pee makes me late for class, miss my train and leak on myself.

~ Anon
    http://www.tickercentral.com

~ Anon

Emi...it depends on the state. In California...it is required to have a stall w/ grab bars for transferring, tp, sinks, coat hooks are low, faucets are IR or lever type handles, high toilet seat, etc. The satll must even have a 60" clear circle for turning....

Sadly, each state has it's own codes or none at all. Here in Idaho, it says H/C but that only means thay have grab bars and low TP and towel dispensers.

Also...if a restaurant, bar or store hasn't been remodelled since the codes were passed, they are exempt till they do so.

Kap

"It's not easy being green"

I wish that FL had more defined regs regarding bathrooms....I've been in so many that I couldn't get my chair in & be able to close the door...it's been a learning experience

'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

That reminds me of a story. The place where we had our wedding receptions was, um, 'rustic' (a converted barn). Not only was the bathroom not accessible, but he couldn't even get in the door. Fortunately he could get into the little wooden-walled anteroom area that they had put up to block the view of the bathroom door from the main area (it didn't go all the way to the floor or up to the ceiling). He cathed in there during the reception, and I carried the urinal back and forth into the bathroom for him. It was pretty humorous. We had forgotten to check on that, assuming it was accessible to him as most places are...

AB wife of T8 complete para

What about the problem when there are six stalls available including the handicap stall and the person in front of you is able-bodied and they use the handicap stall instead of the the other ones. Very frustrating.

I guess we need enforcement of bathroom stalls like handicap parking.

I don't understand. why have only one disabled stall and 4 regulars? everyone knows that the first stall that any disabled/ablebodied person goes to is the big one. I say make all stalls big enough for chairs.